You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Off Topic   »   What's on your mind? How are you feeling today?
squattingb
Sep 8 2014, 9:59pm

Achievements: 24

You always did have a way with words Zukan. I'm following my dreams the best that I can. I applied to become an Engineer Officer within the Canadian Forces, that was about a year and a half ago and thanks to the speed of bureaucracy, I'm almost there. They said there aren't many spots left for the position but my application is one of the strongest, should hear back in April 2015 or soon thereafter. In the meantime, I'm working a pretty cushy job at a bank, gets the bills paid.

-------------------------------
R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Sep 9 2014, 7:48pm

Achievements: 16

About a week and a half ago I dropped off an application at this tech center up the road from the location of the pushy dead-end job I'm at now. A few days later I had an interview. It was around an hour long, and both of the owners of the business seemed to love me. A few more days later, and they want to hire me.

Literally the start of a career right here. The only place to go is up once I start working there. I'm so excited. I just want to kiss someone right now. Two weeks from tomorrow will be the first day of my new life.

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

squattingb
Sep 9 2014, 10:07pm

NICE!! That's really great news, congratulations

What kind of work will you be doing?

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Sep 9 2014, 11:04pm

NICE!! That's really great news, congratulations

What kind of work will you be doing?

Initially I'll be in the shop, handling customer stuff and doing whatever they need me to do (repair phones, mess with computers, etc etc). They have an entire lab with its own network and everything, so I can pretty much hang around there off the clock and spend a lot of time learning whatever I want. Eventually I'll get to go to business all around the city and do things like set up network infrastructure, or manage/maintain what's already in-place.

squattingb
Sep 9 2014, 11:40pm

that sounds like a pretty good gig

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Sep 9 2014, 11:43pm

Yeah, basically I pretty much won't ever have to go back to college with all the stuff I'd be learning working there. Pretty psyched. So like, the shop is built into the community center for the city, and they're looking to do some stuff to bring in more business. I ordered an Oculus Rift DK2 about a month ago, and it should ship out sometime next month. I'm thinking of throwing out an idea to set up a demo station for it if they decide to move forward with this other idea for a game night. I figure advertising that they have an Oculus Rift and giving people the opportunity to demo it would definitely help with advertising their new storefront.

Zukan Sep 10 2014, 2:07pm

Achievements: 13

Sounds great spartan, congrats!

I'm crossing my fingers for your application sbear, never give up.

grunty_thirst Sep 19 2014, 9:53am

Achievements: 15

It took me just a second longer to remember what my password was for this place- sign of the times it does seem. Look at us all reminiscing and such- not to mention, 'living' in various forms.

I had my lucky break with work about a month back. Got a second chance to apply for an Arts position with an established auction house in Melbourne, and this time I got it! It's been a hectic first few weeks, theres so much going on, so much to learn but so much to explore as well. I'm in the perfect position to be surrounded by art of all forms, to increase my knowledge in a practical way and finally get a salary for it and kick the job-seeking benefits. It's been so rewarding, and now that I'm starting to move to the pace of the work environment, I want to excel, prove to those who took me on that I can deliver more for them, and of course, to secure my position into the future.

The days can be long sometimes but it definitely doesnt feel like 'work', not like all those old small-time jobs I've had over the past couple of years, but then that was always the goal. It's a great feeling knowing I'm pretty well self sufficient and in control of my own affairs at that. And after years of not knowing quite the direction I wanted to head in (or at least, felt I should head in), the opportunity presented itself, but not before I took steps to achieve that, which makes me really proud of my efforts through this year especially.

So guess that's my little addition for now. I was just thinking, this feels kinda like watching that old and at the time revolutionary british documentary- '7-Up'. Tracking the lives of different people in 7 year increments, to see how different factors affect people's upbringing and future lives. This place has kinda done that, been the repository of our growth, but minus the emphasis on social or 'class' based differences. We are free to express and talk from wherever we have come from, to wherever we are now, and about well, pretty much everything! And we will continue to do so, as long as we keep coming back here...and I'm sure we all will.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

squattingb
Sep 23 2014, 1:23am

Glad you're doing something that doesn't feel like work , that's the dream!!

Yeah, basically I pretty much won't ever have to go back to college with all the stuff I'd be learning working there. Pretty psyched. So like, the shop is built into the community center for the city, and they're looking to do some stuff to bring in more business. I ordered an Oculus Rift DK2 about a month ago, and it should ship out sometime next month. I'm thinking of throwing out an idea to set up a demo station for it if they decide to move forward with this other idea for a game night. I figure advertising that they have an Oculus Rift and giving people the opportunity to demo it would definitely help with advertising their new storefront.

The Oculus thing sounds like a really neat idea, I would clear it with the Oculus makers first to see if it's okay. They may or may not be against using their product to advertise other businesses.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Sep 24 2014, 6:18pm

Glad you're doing something that doesn't feel like work , that's the dream!!

The Oculus thing sounds like a really neat idea, I would clear it with the Oculus makers first to see if it's okay. They may or may not be against using their product to advertise other businesses.

Well, it's not so much specifically for advertising their new store, it would just happen to be a side effect of setting up a demo station. The storefront is located within the local community center, which is also owned and operated by the owner of the shop. One of the owners was talking about the idea of hosting a game night/LAN party sort of a thing, and I figure I can just offer up my DK2 and see where that goes.

spartan117 Oct 25 2014, 4:28am

'Sup guys, posting this from VRDesktop using my Rift! This stuff is CRAZY. Imagine your entire desktop, but virtually wrapped around you. I feel like I'm Keanu Reeves in Johnny Mnemonic when he's using the Internet, lol.

squattingb
Nov 1 2014, 1:43am

Are you typing with your eyes?

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Trance Feb 6 2015, 4:01pm

Achievements: 14

Y'all really should dust this place once in a while.

spartan117 Feb 6 2015, 11:56pm

I don't have time to dust.

In other news, my new job is pretty killer. I've got a lot of experience with mobile/small electronics repair and one of the perks of my new job allowed me to acquire a physical server (Dell PowerEdge T310). It's amazing. I've got it set up in my house running ESXi. Currently running four servers off of it. I've got my own personal media server on it as well, and the front-end for it is great. Looks a lot like Netflix.

tb2571989
Feb 9 2015, 4:29am

Achievements: 17

And here we are. 10 years from when it all started. I can remember where I was - in the school library second computer from the left next to the old inkjet printer.

Now look where I am. In a school ICT office on the first computer on the right next to the old laser printer. Huh. Some things never change.

In other news, my new job is pretty killer. I've got a lot of experience with mobile/small electronics repair and one of the perks of my new job allowed me to acquire a physical server (Dell PowerEdge T310). It's amazing. I've got it set up in my house running ESXi. Currently running four servers off of it. I've got my own personal media server on it as well, and the front-end for it is great. Looks a lot like Netflix.

Ah, ESXi is a lot of fun - I've got a DL360G5 at home I use for a test lab. I got it cheap from a workplace, and cranked it up to 32GB RAM.

It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good.

Gaia
Feb 9 2015, 9:00pm

Achievements: 15

Happy Anniversary everybody! Hard to believe it's been 10 years!

I miss you guys

Sending purple kisses <3

Thanks to Of Doom, SB, Vagna, Chickenyoda2, Thrall, and Sparx for my beautiful sig pics.
And thanks to SB, Keyes, Caboose, Geo, and Muffin for my awesome birthday pics!

Thank you for the pips TB!!

"I'm not bad.....I'm just drawn that way." ~ Jessica Rabbit
"That in which you have confidence will come to you, be it good or bad. Believe it and it is yours." Campbell
"Whatever you believe you can do, begin it, for boldness has genius and power and magic in it." - Goethe
"Whether your sunglasses are off or on, you only see the world you make." Raitt
"Gaia is the Goddess of the Forums" - RvB_Private_Caboose
"Texas: We have Gaia. t3h win" - Naveegunner
"OMG, U R So 1337!!!!!111oneoneone" - SMJ
See ya...sweetie.

Thank you soooooooo much TB2571989.

squattingb
Feb 10 2015, 11:00am

Glad your job is working out

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

squattingb
Mar 6 2015, 11:28am

Hard to believe it's been 10 years...

I got all three anniversary posters, I'll post pics of them soon.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Scar Mar 14 2015, 1:23am

Achievements: 12

I feel like I'm in an abandoned museum. A-anyone here...?

spartan117 Mar 16 2015, 10:04pm

I feel like I'm in an abandoned museum. A-anyone here...?

Yes

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
lilvision07 (26), Sp4rTaN117 (28)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,771 posts across 6,592 threads
in the 12 years, 7 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,464 registered members.
The newest member is TheCorn.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List