You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   News Archive   »   One Year Later
Nerrolken
Jul 6 2017, 1:48pm

Achievements: 24

A year ago today I was sitting on a couch in Christchurch, New Zealand. My wife and I were three weeks into a seven-month tour of the country, housesitting for a lovely couple who were visiting their daughter in the UK. We were bundled up in Merino wool against the kiwi winter, talking about where to go next on our grand adventure. There was a cat lying next to me and another in Lacey’s lap when my phone buzzed with a notification: my latest app had been approved by Apple, and was awaiting release.

It was my 25th app on the App Store, a strategy game I’d been working on in my time off from work for the last eleven months. I was pretty proud of it, and I thought it was fun and cool, but… well, it was my 25th app. Best not to get any hopes up, right? I’d just see how the launch went, maybe add a few more playable worlds if there was any interest, and then get started on App #26.

I logged into iTunes Connect, hit “Release”, and my life was changed forever.

In the last 12 months, TerraGenesis has been translated into 5 languages, grown to include 38 playable worlds (plus an infinite random planet generator), gone through 42 updates, received almost 8,000 five-star reviews, and been followed by 24,000 people on social media. TerraGenesis players have started 1,699,477 new games, built 2,098,323 colonies, engineered 348,698 new species, researched 9,583,043 technologies, and experienced a breathtaking 74,300,219 random events.

And my favorite stat of all: I am overflowing with excitement and gratitude to say that in the first year since its release, TerraGenesis has been downloaded ONE MILLION TIMES!

This is a stunning achievement for a sole indie developer, and I am so incredibly grateful for the support you all have given. TerraGenesis has no backing from investors or publishers, it hasn’t been reviewed by any major gaming websites or blogs, and it hasn’t been featured by Apple on the App Store. It has been you, the fans, who spread the word about this game, wrote reviews, told your friends, joined communities, shared screenshots, and helped make this happen. What began as one more anonymous game on the App Store has become one of the most vibrant, intelligent, diverse, supportive, exciting, collaborative, and fun communities I have ever known. Many of you have become active parts of the development process, suggesting dozens of bug fixes and new features that have already made it into the game, and many more have become advocates for a game that could easily have disappeared into the ether of the internet with barely a ripple.

Thank you, every one of you, so much. It really means more than I can say.

The next year promises to be at least as busy as the last one: TerraGenesis just won its first award (an experience I am eager to repeat!), Lacey and I will be visiting at least three more conventions and conferences this year, I’m about to roll out our newest language (German) in the next few weeks, I’m constantly working on iOS updates while also learning Unity so I can bring TerraGenesis to Android, and Lacey is hard at work getting Edgeworks Entertainment up and running as a real company. From there we hope to start building a team, hire some more artists and developers, expand into Android and maybe even PC/Mac, and beyond. Plus, given this whole “award-winning indie game with a million players” thing, I’d REALLY like to get some review articles and App Store features happening, which means doubling-down on our pavement-pounding efforts.

We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us, and I couldn’t be more excited about it.

One year, one developer, one million players. Damn, that’s fun to say. These past 12 months have been the best of my life, full of excitement and challenges and adventures and new experiences. It’s been a wild ride so far, folks, but don’t you touch that dial…

…’cause you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

-------------------------------
Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,777 posts across 6,596 threads
in the 12 years, 9 months, and 14 days since our first post.
We have 3,504 registered members.
The newest member is Kindlad1983.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List