You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Books   »   What are you reading right now?
squattingb
Jun 18 2013, 12:15am

Achievements: 24

Been reading more books now that I'm done school. Finishing up a Stephen Hawking book, not particularly exciting actually since it contains no new information. Oh well...

-------------------------------
R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Reaper195 Jun 18 2013, 2:40am

Achievements: 18

How do you read the writing? Do you read it in your own voice, or Hawking's synthetic voice?

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

squattingb
Jun 18 2013, 1:08pm

I think I'd go mad if I did the latter lol.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Reaper195 Jul 5 2013, 6:55pm

That would be top! Off topic, but I had to learn a bunch of numerical facts for my forklift licence. I found it easier to memorize it all in the voice of Legion from ME2/3.

Started rereading 11/22/63 by Stephen King again. I forgot how much I loved time travel stuff.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Fish Jul 5 2013, 9:05pm

Achievements: 12

Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson

grunty_thirst Jul 18 2013, 12:48am

Achievements: 15

Currently reading through three books at once. About half-way through The Stand (first time read through at last), picked up Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy for something to read on train trips (need all the following books), and also started The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter which has been interesting so far. The follow-up (The Long War) is out in shops and on sale so it prompted me to get the first...probably should buy the second before that special price ends...mmm, hardback or paper-back to match the first book I already got?

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Reaper195 Jul 18 2013, 1:22am

The Stand = best book of all time ever

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

squattingb
Aug 8 2013, 2:57am

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Mike Brown.

Fascinating history from the man itself, also really funny.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Trumpetman09
Aug 8 2013, 3:30pm

Achievements: 25

Right now I am reading Inferno by Dan Brown. It's not bad, better than his Lost Symbol, but not as good as Angels and Demons, and The Da Vinci Code.

I was reading Spielberg's biography, which was really awesome and an interesting read. The other book I finished that I found fascinating was Skywalking, a biography of George Lucas. I got on a weird kick of reading biographical books and it's pretty interesting to see where people come from to become the people they are today.

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

squattingb
Aug 10 2013, 1:16pm

I've got the Steve Jobs biography lying around, I should read it sometime.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Scar Aug 13 2013, 9:14am

Achievements: 12

Right now I am reading Inferno by Dan Brown. It's not bad, better than his Lost Symbol, but not as good as Angels and Demons, and The Da Vinci Code.

Thought it was much better than Lost Symbol, even liked it more than Da Vinci Code, but yeah, think Angels & Demons is still the best. Inferno gets extra points for a brave ending.

Started reading Interview with the Vampire, enjoying it so far. The sexual "symbolism" (straight, homosexual, involving children, the whole spectrum it seems like) is far more blatant than I expected, but still a good book so far.

grunty_thirst Sep 13 2013, 11:02am

Achievements: 15

Righto, where did I get to last post?...

Ah yes, finished The Stand pretty quickly in the end. Somehow I didn't feel it quite lived up to the reputation I'd heard of...few little criticisms to boot, although I'm realising there are some tendencies of KIng's writing that I just dont like. But all that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Finished The Long Earth (Prachett and Baxter), really got into the premise of the story and am eager to read the next in the series to see where it goes. A very easy read too I might add. The humour of Prachett is restrained in comparison to the Discworld series I'm very fond of, but is still underlying through the text. I recommend this as a nice short SciFi if you're after something to read. Noticed somebody on the train the other week reading a copy too which made me smile.

Currently about halfway through another King I picked up cheap a couple years ago- Duma Key. The fact it has a bit to do with concepts around painting and drawing has also made it an interesting read for me, as the forever casual artist I am, lol. Curious to see where it all leads, and am hoping its not as anti-climatic as I've found some of King's work to be in the end.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
lilvision07 (26), Sp4rTaN117 (28)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,771 posts across 6,592 threads
in the 12 years, 7 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,464 registered members.
The newest member is TheCorn.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List