You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   Videos   »   "The Heretic" in Hebrew
JBK405 Nov 6 2007, 7:50pm

Achievements: 8

I'm currently in an Introduction to Hebrew class, and at the end of the semester all the students are preparing an oral presentation for the rest of the class. Some people perform a skit, others make a speech, some just converse with one another; all that really matters is that you display your knowledge of the vocabulary and rules of grammar. The thing is, we've got quite a bit of leeway, and we've also got the option of doing a film.

A few years ago somebody did a multi-semester installment of Hebrew Sesame Stree, somebody else apparently did a God-awful rendition of "I am your father"....and I was thinking of doing a Hebrew dub of The Heretic. The presentation is meant to be between 5-10 minutes, so one episode would be the perfect length, it's bound to be more interesting than a stirring rendition of "Why I love [insert miscellaneous topic]," and I figure this is something I'd enjoy (Of course, that's before I've tried to translate "United Nations Space Command" into a semitic language with limited root similarities to English).

Now, this really isn't going to be a quality translation of the series; I don't have the vocabulary to cover even a 1/10 of the dialogue in the series, and even the vocab I do have I won't be able to use properly (We haven't even gotten to all the separate tenses of a language). Plus, I'll have to do most of the dialogue all by my lonesome (With a maximum of two helpers if I get into a group for this presentation), and let me tell you that what little acting I've done in my life would have made Gone With the Wind a box-office failure. I think I'll be able to at least get the feeling of the series across, and I'll try to match it to the video at least as well as those old dubs of Godzilla, but I will have to prepare myself and my classmates for more than one "All your base are belong to us."

I'm never going to market this or put it on-line, but I wanted to get Edgeworks Entertainment consent before I went ahead. Call it an over developed sense of justice, but I just wouldn't feel right dubbing your products without permission.....well, that and I'm kinda sorta hoping that maybe you'll want to put my dub on-line as a translation for Hebrew speaking Codex fans. Hey, I've got dreams, too, and I am in no way above leeching off the hard work of others in order to get my name attached to a superior product.

Anyway, lofty dreams aside, any objections?

-------------------------------
Life is like a roller coaster, it has it's ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

NationStates: The Associated Systems of Klonor

squattingb
Nov 6 2007, 7:55pm

Achievements: 24

Sounds like an awesome project good luck with it if it happens!

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Nerrolken
Nov 7 2007, 4:50pm

Sounds cool, man. Go for it!

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

grunty_thirst Nov 7 2007, 5:17pm

Achievements: 15

Heh, Winn approved. biggrin.gif

Good luck JBK. smile.gif

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Gundam114 Nov 8 2007, 4:49pm

<--quoteo(post=205859:date=Nov 7 2007, 09:50 PM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE(Nerrolken @ Nov 7 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]205859[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
Sounds cool, man. Go for it!

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

ahhh! So you arent dead yet!

Nabsuh- CGI Artist, Machinimator, Film-Maker

HOWS THIS?

BETTER!! WELL DONE!!

Famous Quotes-
"I should sig-quote that" tb2571989-> Links to my quote.
"Hey McDoogleh! Sig-quote me! Quickly! Just sig-quote this post!" RMcDowell
"Kudos To Mcdoogleh!" Lordstemplar1
"You just got Nerrolkened!" Pretty Much Everyone on the forum.
"Gaia, Love Doctor" Sbear
"awww, thats so sweet!" Geo.c Ghost
"I once dreamt I was awesome. I woke up and it had come true." Trance
"Yeah, I have a question. There's this thing called the W'rkncacnter, and it's kind of terrorizing the universe. Would you mind quickly kicking its ass with your special effects powarz?" Krimsin
"omg, i m sry k?" M4stur Cheef
"Jonathan Quail-" Crossfire
"Food Nippels!" Grunty Thirst
"Yoda teaches PS? Then what's up with the fake lasers?" Zukan
"We wuv pitty gurls" Mcdoogleh
"See ya... Sweetie" Gaia
"Its comeing people" Aglor

Trance Nov 8 2007, 5:05pm

Achievements: 14

<--quoteo(post=205974:date=Nov 8 2007, 04:49 PM:name=Mcdoogleh)-->
QUOTE(Mcdoogleh @ Nov 8 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]205974[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
ahhh! So you arent dead yet!
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
Immortal, duh....

JBK405 Nov 8 2007, 11:03pm

Wow...suddenly I have a new found appreciation for those sorry bastards who have to dub all those Hollywood movies for Israeli audiences. Translating a single sentence ("Tell me old friend, why do we pursue the gods?"), simply to see if it could be done, got me a ten minute diatribe on grammatical errors and the improper usage of the verb "to know" ("Pursue" is, of course, a verb we have yet to get to, and since my class needs to be able to understand the project I can't use words we haven't gone over yet, so I needed to find a suitable substitution. Thus, "pursue the gods" becomes "work to know the gods," and that brings up all these new issues about improper verbs and abnormal conjugation, not to mention this one bizarre infinitive that I swear defies every single law governing the language). I mean, I know that I'm not exactly fluent in this tounge, but I thought at least one sentence was within the realm of possibility. Apparently not (At least, not one involving pursuing and old friends telling people stuff).

So, two days after birth, "The Heretic" in Hebrew dies a premature death. We are now moving on to the dramatic and compelling "Who's on First" in Hebrew (Yeah, that's gonna be a lot easier. You ever tried to say that one in English? Seriously, I get an aneurysm just trying to follow the damn sketch; how the hell am I going to remember "Mi al rishon" and the five hundred lines which follow?)

But don't be disheartened, I'm still determined to do this project, even if it's on my own time instead of the schools, and I'll do it damn good, too, just to spite them. Maybe over the winter break, so I'll have something to show the next class level when we start up again in January. That'll teach them to expect proper verb placement and a matching tense throughout the sentence.

Life is like a roller coaster, it has it's ups and downs, but if you sit back and relax you get one heck of a ride.

squattingb
Nov 9 2007, 5:13pm

Definately please keep us posted! Don't give up, and good luck! smile.gif

I hope that your project will turn out well, despite the fact that it won't be awesome because it's NOT the Heretic wink.gif (j/k)

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

JBK405 Nov 25 2007, 11:50pm

Okay, I'm actually moving into production now (Gotta admit, I'm kinda surprised that I didn't completely abandon this the second I ran into my first problem. That's usually how I do things; I plan a large and extraordinarily complicated endeavor, with every intention of seeing it through, but two days later I run into one block and drop everything for my next never-to-be-finished plan), but there's a problem with editing my audio into The Heretic video. I'm just working with Windows Movie Maker, a simple program since I'm not actually creating the video, so I've hit a block when I try to remove the present English dialogue from the videos while leaving in the music, sound effects, and everything else that gives The Heretic some of its special flavor. See, WMM allows you to adjust which audio is louder, the levels from the video which you have or the audio track you're laying over it, but not which specific part of the audio is louder. Meaning, if I lower the level on the English dialogue, I also lose all the other sounds in the video, which is pretty much everything. I'm determined to make this dub, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that I can also replicate each and every bullet impact, explosion, or nifty guitar riff in the soundtrack. I mean sure, I probably could do that, but it's not going to happen. Even I don't have that much spare time.

What would make it all simpler is if there was a copy of The Heretic without the dialogue, but with the soundtrack, effects, etc. left intact; a blank slate on which to drop new vocals. A rough cut essentially, the video before it was finished and compiled with the audio and put up for the public. Is there one available for download somewhere on this site? I'd be very grateful (And let's be honest, so would whoever ends up watching this thing. I might have a soothing voice, but listening to me drone on for 1:14 without even a cricket in the background would drive even my mother insane).

squattingb
Nov 26 2007, 3:33pm

It's not available right now, but you can always splice your own version of the soundtrack.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

JBK405 Nov 26 2007, 3:41pm

I figured as much, but there's no harm in asking. I'll make do (Even if the gunfights without noise are odd to watch).

squattingb
Nov 26 2007, 3:42pm

You could always say "pew pew" in the background tongue.gif

"wooosh"

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

JBK405 Nov 26 2007, 3:53pm

Personally, I've always been a fan of Blam! Blam! and Kroompf!, but I think Ker-Pow! might be called for this time.

squattingb
Nov 26 2007, 4:40pm

biggrin.gif

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

JBK405 Nov 27 2007, 1:00am

Moving into the translation now (Which is going a lot more smoothly than I expected; mainly since I'm no longer expecting a grade and thus can let such unpleasant details as tense, sentence structure, and grammar go out the window) and I've finished the names of the characters. Well, what names needed translating anyway; "Jack" is going to stay "Jack" since I'm pretty sure people don't bother translating proper names, but titles at least can get a shift.

High Cleric Dove Antenatee - Cohen Gadol Dove Antenatee

The Praetor - No literal translation into Hebrew (I guess since the word isn't exactly English), but think I've found a suitable substitute: Ha-mipaked (The Commander). It's the best I could do since the translation for "General" is, in fact, just "General." Not only "General," either, it turns out that "Admiral" is "Admiral" and even "Field Marshal" is (You guessed it) "Field Marshal." Call me finnicky, but that just doesn't quite seem to have the feel of a real translation. It'd just be English with an accent.

Captain of the Seraphim - Seren La-Saraphim (Yeah, apparently Seraph is actually a Hebrew word. Shock to me, too)

Fleet Master Menahee - Sholet Bah-tsee Menahee

The Guardian - Ha-Ehpeetropus (Anachnu Ha-Ehpeetropus - "We are the Guardian" <--sizeo:1--><--/sizeo-->And for our football fans out there - Anachnu Penn State!<--sizec--><--/sizec-->

The Chief - Ha-ros

Lykurgus - Lykurgus (I'm simply going to say No, I am not going to translate this from Greek to English and then to Hebrew)

RED 1 Jack Foster - Ahdom Echad Jack Foster

RED 2 Ben Jefferson - Ahdom Shney Ben Jefferson

RED 3 Chris Hobart - Ahdom Shloshah Chris Hobart

RED 4 Rick Daniels - Ahdom Arbahah Rick Daniels

RED 5 Ashley Jenkins - Ahdoomah Chamesh Ashley Jenkins

BLUE 1 Candice McKenzie - Kchoolah (Yes, that's a "K" followed by a "ch." You try pronouncing that one) Echat Candice McKenzie

BLUE 2 Will Garretson - Kachol Shney Will Garretson

BLUE 3 Matt Caine - Kachol Shloshah Matt Caine

BLUE 4 Frank Davis - Kachol Arbahah Frank Davis

BLUE 5 Daniel Davidson - Kachol Chameeshah Daniel Davidson

GREEN 1 Harvey Guttman - Yarok Echad Harvey Guttman

GREEN 2 James Thomas - Yarok Shney James Thomas

GREEN 3 Jeff Hunt - Yraok Shloshah Jeff Hunt

GREEN 4 Sam Malone - Yarok Arbahah Sam Malone (Is Ted Danson a guest actor that I somehow missed?)

GREEN 5 Eric Dedman - Yarok Chameeshah Eric Dedman

And Admiral Peterson is....well, he's just Admiral Peterson.

I don't think I missed anyone (Except, of course, Livingston Communications Officer and the like). Now I need to actually start working on what these people say ("Shalom Dove" is an easy one; "Ani Kil-ra Saboori, Seren La-Saraphim," too; from there it gets challenging).

squattingb
Nov 27 2007, 4:50pm

Praetor means teacher, or something along those lines, that may help you in your translation.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

JBK405 Nov 28 2007, 12:00am

Well, teacher's easy (Mohreh), but are you sure that's the translation? Latin was never my preferred language, German just makes more sense to me, but I thought Praetor was a Roman title that, while it did cover a broad range of offices, usually pertained to the military or civil administration.

Of course, that's relying on the Wiki-explanataion, and I don't exactly regard Wikipedia as a proper scholarly resource (I've reverted way to many "OMG thes guyz so gey!" to give any Wiki-content my full confidence), so I'm not gonna push the issue.

Perhaps a blend; Mohreh V-mipaked would be Teacher and Commander.

squattingb
Nov 28 2007, 3:49pm

I'm pretty sure that Nerrolken once said that Praetor meant Teacher, at least in spanish.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Aglor Nov 28 2007, 4:35pm

Achievements: 20

Praetor was the title of military leaders and civil officials in Rome. Not sure about Spanish or anything, but something like that goes along the Roman meaning would probably work best.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

squattingb
Nov 28 2007, 4:53pm

Yeah I can't find anything relating Praetor to teacher, I wonder where I got that idea sad.gif

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List