You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   Videos   »   The Heretic: Review
Lordstemplar1 May 21 2007, 8:39pm

Achievements: 8

Heretic Review

The Story +

I loved how the story started with a glimpse of the ending, with Dove's death and last words. I liked the idea of a race against all odds to the defector, but I just didn't like how they lost the defector so easily (it almost seemed he willingly went back to the Covenant). As previously stated before as well, the plot was lacking a little more depth/ complication as was found in the Codex. It seemed that the story's objective of capturing the defector was regurgitated several times in a couple of the episodes, other than that, excellent concept and plot. The CGI was fantastic, kudos to Major.Dump, you have even inspired me to puruse animations further. Excellent plot, original concept, and an excellent prelude to the Codex.

The Acting +

Excellent voice acting and puppeteering overall. Every character's voice talent and movement was played to maximum efficiency, leaving me VERY pleased and impressed.

Soundtrack +/-

Interesting uses of the Apple Garageband Loops, I too was working on the same EXACT music loops for my own soundtrack as well. Aside from that, the loops were used in appropriate areas and definitely heightened the drama and tension of the situations, from the execution of Dove, to the arrival of the UNSC cavalry.

The CGI +/-

Excellent use of CGI definitely heightened the storyline, unfortunately, as previously stated, the CGI was unnecessary. At times, especially early in the story, I felt that the CGI was used to "showcase" Major.Dump's talents (which I must commend and applaud as a JOB WELL DONE). But, the CGI only HEIGHTENED or MODIFIED the storyline. However, putting aside the somewhat negative, the space combats sequences were extraordinary, especially the climactic space battle over the defector's planet. I especially liked the use of the Phantom and Pelcian sequences as an effective, spectacular transition for the action scenes (an idea I myself wrote in one of my earlier scripts for Prophecy's ending).

The Action -

Aside from the stunning space battles and dropships, I have to say, the choreographed battle sequences throughout the Heretic were somewhat bleak. At times, they seemed rather well choreographed, but, I found myself yawning at most of the beat downs and the headshots exchanged between the human and alien races. I have to say, the Codex triumphed in choreography rather than the newer Heretic. I myself stress alot of attention on my battle scenes for my Prophecy series, and that is done painstakingly over Xbox Live, with or without my account. Other than that, the story is delivered regardless.

Overall +

Acting, puppeteering and story are strong. The use of CGI definitely heightened the tension and scales of the plot to Heretic. However, the action scenes between the Spartans and Elites were not so entertaining as its predecessor, in terms of choreography and accurate action (ex. Jack simply runs around in circles on Backwash beating down all the elites that encircle him). Overall, Heretic definitely lives up to Nerroklen's talents and qualities, and I would like to make a nice shout out to the team and Major.Dump for A JOB WELL DONE!

Overall Review Score: 8.8/10

-------------------------------
IPB Image

wesman May 21 2007, 8:42pm

Achievements: 1

Wow I dont think I have the patience to make a post even half that long mellow.gif wink.gif

IPB Image
If someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.

Lordstemplar1 May 21 2007, 8:44pm

lol I had to get that off my chest, seeing that this topic was made and I have a couple more exams to focus on blink.gif

IPB Image

Aglor May 21 2007, 8:47pm

Achievements: 20

What is it with long reviews? What is this, Review Magazine?

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Lordstemplar1 May 21 2007, 8:52pm

<--quoteo(post=188478:date=May 21 2007, 06:47 PM:name=Aglor)-->
QUOTE(Aglor @ May 21 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]188478[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
What is it with long reviews? What is this, Review Magazine?
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

YES! tongue.gif

IPB Image

squattingb
May 21 2007, 8:58pm

Achievements: 24

I'm going to attribute most of the shortcomings to the limitations of the game engine itself. And being underpeopled.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

KrazyxKorean May 21 2007, 10:17pm

Achievements: 0

I may have just not been paying attention, but did it say what happened to Green Team after they were left at the station
Also, I'd just like to say, The Heretic was lacking the action The Codex had, I expected the last fight to be slighlty reminiscent of Episode 15 from The Codex.
But hey, whatev

IPB Image

Spartan Foods May 21 2007, 10:18pm

Achievements: 2

You can make a pretty good movie if you use the game engine. Problem is, Halo 2 Multiplayer in a standard situation only uses 10% of the full potential. So, it's not the game engine. It's the end user and what they choose.

A signature.

Fish May 22 2007, 12:21am

Achievements: 12

<--quoteo(post=188481:date=May 21 2007, 05:58 PM:name=squattingb)-->
QUOTE(squattingb @ May 21 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]188481[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
I'm going to attribute of the shortcomings to the limitations of the game engine itself. And being underpeopled.
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm attributting it to the fact that they only had two, three months to film.

Major.Dump
May 22 2007, 10:41pm

You know, when it comes to internet multimedia, my approach is always the same; If I can't do any better, then I don't criticize.

keyes, I'm taking an extreme offense to your comments about my CG, and you should seriously consider shutting that fat mouth of yours on subjects you obviously have no understanding of. Why don't you ask Nerrolken about how the series completion was in doubt when our other animator, Zach disappeared, and how I had to come back on and finish CG I never signed on to do. When you criticize me, I take a look at all my effort I had poured into this series, and it turns into a slap in the face.

You may sound self-righteous by spelling things correctly, but in the end you're just an asshole.

(And to whoever has deleted my posts due to the 'content' in them, take a look at what I've done for this series and reconsider for just this one post please)

IPB ImageIPB Image
i am a fighter for freedome, or a freedom fighter. not a fighter of freedom, i dont fight freedom. as a freedom fighter, i fight freedom's fighters.
-Kliener Noir

Praetor
May 22 2007, 10:47pm

I actually agree wholeheartedly.

But, that's exactly what Keyes wanted you to do. He used to do this all the time before we banned him once, and now he's back, solely for the purpose of criticizing something so that people will get upset and flame him.

So, don't put too much stock in what he said. I think your CG was phenomenal, and it made sense the way it was presented. Plus, no one cares about his opinion anyway! wink.gif

IPB Image
My Blog <-- T3h Blog

squattingb
May 22 2007, 10:47pm

He wasn't criticizing the quality of the CG, he said it himself that it was quite good. He just found it unnecessary. And like Nerrolken, all I can do is say "meh".

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Major.Dump
May 22 2007, 10:52pm

<--quoteo(post=188429:date=May 21 2007, 12:39 PM:name=Keyesies)-->
QUOTE(Keyesies @ May 21 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]188429[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
While the CG was, yes, good... it wasn't great. other areas (such as the ships descending through some green fog/smoke), it faltered.

and

it was just uninteresting.
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

So yeah, he did criticize. I don't really care about the cloud parts anyway, they weren't my scenes.

IPB ImageIPB Image
i am a fighter for freedome, or a freedom fighter. not a fighter of freedom, i dont fight freedom. as a freedom fighter, i fight freedom's fighters.
-Kliener Noir

squattingb
May 22 2007, 10:58pm

Okay.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Fish May 22 2007, 11:36pm

Achievements: 12

uh... topic change required?

Gundam114 May 23 2007, 2:32am

<--quoteo(post=188654:date=May 23 2007, 03:41 AM:name=Major.Dump)-->
QUOTE(Major.Dump @ May 23 2007, 03:41 AM) [snapback]188654[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
You know, when it comes to internet multimedia, my approach is always the same; If I can't do any better, then I don't criticize.

keyes, I'm taking an extreme offense to your comments about my CG, and you should seriously consider shutting that fat mouth of yours on subjects you obviously have no understanding of. Why don't you ask Nerrolken about how the series completion was in doubt when our other animator, Zach disappeared, and how I had to come back on and finish CG I never signed on to do. When you criticize me, I take a look at all my effort I had poured into this series, and it turns into a slap in the face.

You may sound self-righteous by spelling things correctly, but in the end you're just an asshole.
(And to whoever has deleted my posts due to the 'content' in them, take a look at what I've done for this series and reconsider for just this one post please)
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Keyes! You bastard! Don't insult the CG, its not an easy thing to do and I would like to see YOU try create something that Major.Dump did for The Heretic! Major.Dump, I wouldn't listen to anything that guy says, cause its total BULLSHIT.

AND I think you perfectly know that the CG was done well, your just jealous because you couldn't create a series like The Heretic...

Nabsuh- CGI Artist, Machinimator, Film-Maker

HOWS THIS?

BETTER!! WELL DONE!!

Famous Quotes-
"I should sig-quote that" tb2571989-> Links to my quote.
"Hey McDoogleh! Sig-quote me! Quickly! Just sig-quote this post!" RMcDowell
"Kudos To Mcdoogleh!" Lordstemplar1
"You just got Nerrolkened!" Pretty Much Everyone on the forum.
"Gaia, Love Doctor" Sbear
"awww, thats so sweet!" Geo.c Ghost
"I once dreamt I was awesome. I woke up and it had come true." Trance
"Yeah, I have a question. There's this thing called the W'rkncacnter, and it's kind of terrorizing the universe. Would you mind quickly kicking its ass with your special effects powarz?" Krimsin
"omg, i m sry k?" M4stur Cheef
"Jonathan Quail-" Crossfire
"Food Nippels!" Grunty Thirst
"Yoda teaches PS? Then what's up with the fake lasers?" Zukan
"We wuv pitty gurls" Mcdoogleh
"See ya... Sweetie" Gaia
"Its comeing people" Aglor

Spartan Foods May 23 2007, 4:25am

Achievements: 2

Codex > Heretic.

Should have been the other way around in normal circumstances, but there were no normal circumstance in the production of the Heretic, so I think it was decent enough, and better than most machinima out there.

A signature.

Trance May 23 2007, 10:18am

Achievements: 14

<--quoteo(post=188695:date=May 23 2007, 04:25 AM:name=Deomitrus)-->
QUOTE(Deomitrus @ May 23 2007, 04:25 AM) [snapback]188695[/snapback]
<--quotec-->
Codex > Heretic.

Should have been the other way around in normal circumstances, but there were no normal circumstance in the production of the Heretic, so I think it was decent enough, and better than most machinima out there.
<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
It's interesting to note that watching the Heretic and then the Codex in a nonstop marathon does alleviate a lot of the negative points about the prequel (since you'll be watching it in chronological order). It starts out with a bit of action, but really takes off toward the end. Like any great movie would.

The only thing I have to say about the CG is that the framerate was weird. Which makes for shorter render times, I know, but still. What was the frames per second on the CG sequences, Major.Dump?

Sergeant Conley May 23 2007, 10:40am

I thought it was pretty good. Short, but good. I also found it annoying at first that Jack and Candace's voice actors had been changed, but I got over it. The CGI was pretty good for...would the CGI guy count as amateur? Because technically, he's not a professional CGI desogner. Don't get me wrong, it looks like he knows what he's doing. (Did one helluva job better than what I would have done. Hell, a retarded monkey could have done a helluva better job than me.) But it did seem choppy in places. The new music was awesome. (That guitar music played during the space station battle was, as the youngsters say, "off the chain".) My only real complaint was it could have been longer. Otherwise, it was pretty good. Not as good as The Codex though. I'm not sure why, but I'd rather watch The Codex.

83rd Marines Regiment

Terror of the Skies!

Gundam114 May 23 2007, 11:25am

I would watch the Heretic over again and again, but the codex is a little more classic then its prequel.

And Trance, as for the CGI scenes, he said that Nerrolken sometimes slows up the CG scenes which results in frame loss. However, I would expect 30 fps

Nabsuh- CGI Artist, Machinimator, Film-Maker

HOWS THIS?

BETTER!! WELL DONE!!

Famous Quotes-
"I should sig-quote that" tb2571989-> Links to my quote.
"Hey McDoogleh! Sig-quote me! Quickly! Just sig-quote this post!" RMcDowell
"Kudos To Mcdoogleh!" Lordstemplar1
"You just got Nerrolkened!" Pretty Much Everyone on the forum.
"Gaia, Love Doctor" Sbear
"awww, thats so sweet!" Geo.c Ghost
"I once dreamt I was awesome. I woke up and it had come true." Trance
"Yeah, I have a question. There's this thing called the W'rkncacnter, and it's kind of terrorizing the universe. Would you mind quickly kicking its ass with your special effects powarz?" Krimsin
"omg, i m sry k?" M4stur Cheef
"Jonathan Quail-" Crossfire
"Food Nippels!" Grunty Thirst
"Yoda teaches PS? Then what's up with the fake lasers?" Zukan
"We wuv pitty gurls" Mcdoogleh
"See ya... Sweetie" Gaia
"Its comeing people" Aglor

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Nerrolken (31), xX Church Xx (25)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,771 posts across 6,592 threads
in the 12 years, 7 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,464 registered members.
The newest member is TheCorn.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List