Monger May 7 2007, 12:02am

Achievements: 0

This movie makes you think. Hard.

-------------------------------
IPB Image

squattingb
May 7 2007, 5:32pm

Achievements: 24

Aghhhhhhhhhhhh, we didn't get to finish watching!!!!!

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

squattingb
May 11 2007, 4:49pm

Well, I got to finish the ending. That was quite odd, I read through some analysis reviews on the net and got some other stuff out of it. But overall it seemed like it was a circular movie going nowhere with no much of a focal point...
Visited the official website, that was kind of creepy.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Divine_Madness:) Jul 1 2007, 7:33am

Achievements: 0

I think it's a great movie... its imaginative and interesting. Also, the cover of mad world coupled with the end of the movie is heartbreaking. All those people who call it 'pretentious' should realise that they are what stops directors and modern artists of any medium being adventurous sad.gif

Music for the intelligent child

IPB Image

Jim_Raynor Jul 1 2007, 12:02pm

Achievements: 8

a movie that seems even more confusing than this one, yet ultimately makes more sense, is Mulholland Drive. that's an amazing movie, and you gotta think real hard to understand it.

IPB Image
SNAKES ON A PLANE

Disease Jul 1 2007, 12:11pm

Achievements: 15

i only watched bits and parts of it. it was good though.

My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Jul 25 2007, 12:29am

Achievements: 18

Donnie Darko was one of the very few movies that I'll watch more than once, and more than five times. It's like Fight Club, it's so well thought out, there are so many little things that work with the overall plot, and seriously make you a bit creeped out by it.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Reaper195 Feb 3 2012, 5:14am

Achievements: 18

So...I watched this again tonight with the gf and.....*looks at previous post*.....huh....

And I gotta say, this movie is still utterly fantastic. If you get the chance, watch the Directors Cut. About an extra fifteen minutes, but it does add extra....things...that help it make sense, but also adding more depth in it.

We both loled at the smurf sex part though. Never could take that scene serious.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

squattingb
Feb 3 2012, 10:53am

yeah it's been a number of years since I've seen it though I was recently reading a bunch of analysis articles on the movie.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

grunty_thirst Sep 13 2013, 11:45am

Achievements: 15

Roaming throught the old threads, found this one, saw I hadnt posted in it either.

Warning for possible spoilers if you have somehow not seen this yet. Go watch it, then come back!

I love this film. Sure there isnt a real...point to it as such...its just like a big coming to terms with how the world flows, and in Donnie's case, it's just about finding his place inside of it all imo. I feel like watching it again now just so what I say isnt completely incorrect, but anyway. If I remember, the Directors cut has all the 'Chapter' bits in it? I hated those because it just gave away too much of what the film does and what Donnie is trying to uncover through it. It's much more effective, and the ending is much less predictable (well, somewhat so) watching the original cut.

Part of what makes it good is the time-travel...ness. But mostly I think it's just the bitter-sweet end to it all. Couple the end with the Mad World cover and it's a good mix of emotive cinema that leaves me thinking 'this was a great film'. It's happy and sad and smart and Donnie himself is a likeable character (of course).

I like the comparison Reaper made to Fight Club. The end to that with Pixies playing 'Where is My Mind' in the background has a similar feel to it. The whole film is drawing you in, making you think and look for all the little clues (I swear I keep finding more in Fight Club each time I watch it, and I've watched it a lot), and then providing you with a grand finale right at the...well...death, lol.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Strayer (26)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,752 posts across 6,581 threads
in the 12 years, 0 months, and 6 days since our first post.
We have 3,426 registered members.
The newest member is Vooduud.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List