You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Off Topic   »   What's on your mind? How are you feeling today?
Aglor Sep 9 2013, 8:14pm

Achievements: 20

Prime ministers and monarchs go together like a relevant analogy.

-------------------------------
6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Scar Sep 10 2013, 10:46am

Achievements: 12

Prime ministers and monarchs go together like a relevant analogy.

grunty_thirst Sep 12 2013, 8:41am

Achievements: 15

Had my first shift at my new job tonight, at a local restaurant. It's my first time doing like...proper wait staff stuff, so it has been a bit of a learning curve. On again tomorrow night, so the faster I get used to my duties and things the better.

I'm calling this a successful year thus far. Went from having no jobs at the start of the year, to being on the books for 4 places, albeit casual. I finally broke through the 'experince' barrier (ie- lack there of). And the fact one is an Archaeology job has had me pretty happy since I started that as well. Next year will no doubt be even more intersting...and profitable, I hope.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Reaper195 Sep 12 2013, 4:36pm

Achievements: 18

Huehuehue...missed the f in 'shift'. Your post was immeasurably funnier.

Congrats, dude. I had the problem of working for my parent for four years. And I more or less ran the entire business for the last two years while they lived off the profits (The fat cats, heheheh), but everyon was all "OKay, can you get some references other than your parents?" "No, they were my employers in my only real job. For four years." "Well...that's not good enough." "Cool, thanks for not giving me a job so I can get other references then...dicks."

....a summery of what every conversation went for almost every other job aside from what I've currently got. Which I'm enjoying the hell out of. If only I could get some more hours.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Aglor Sep 12 2013, 9:16pm

I'll be hosting and producing a radio show in a couple weeks. No money, just a university thing, but I'm excited to get back on the air. I'll post a link for you guys to listen in if you want.

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

grunty_thirst Sep 12 2013, 11:47pm

Defs link us Aglor, I'd be interested to hear it if its at a non-sleeping time for me here in Aus. My older sister did a good stint at the Student Youth Network in Melbourne a few years back to start expressing her ideas and communication skills and she really enjoyed it. Keep at it

Huehuehue...missed the f in 'shift'. Your post was immeasurably funnier.

Congrats, dude. I had the problem of working for my parent for four years. And I more or less ran the entire business for the last two years while they lived off the profits (The fat cats, heheheh), but everyon was all "OKay, can you get some references other than your parents?" "No, they were my employers in my only real job. For four years." "Well...that's not good enough." "Cool, thanks for not giving me a job so I can get other references then...dicks."

....a summery of what every conversation went for almost every other job aside from what I've currently got. Which I'm enjoying the hell out of. If only I could get some more hours.

There really is no consideration for one's circumstance when you come to applying for new jobs. Obviously you have the desire and motivation to want to work and employers need to look at that more than solely 'experience'. If it turns out you're not cut out for the work, then thats their decision, but getting a chance to show you can do (what is generally pretty medial work) is all I wanted, its just taken a while to get to that stage here and now.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Aglor Sep 13 2013, 2:29pm

Just did the math (not necessarily correctly, mind you) and it looks like it'll be airing at around 1 in the morning for you. Might just have to catch it as a download!

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

-Albert Einstein

-Marcus Brigstocke

-Author Unknown

grunty_thirst Oct 3 2013, 10:29am

Got a linky towards that one?

Hmm, well things are pretty ok here at the moment. Just the odd shift for work and not much else...soccer season is starting up soon which may mean more work at that particular job at the stadium, serving beers and whatnot. They also mentioned a couple of concerts being played there, such as Bruce Springsteen, which I would probably go to and just hope I might catch some of the show lol

I also got accepted for a role with World vision for the christmas period as a fundraising promoter- stalking the town shopping centre and making people feel awkward and guilty lol. So that'll make job no. 5 this year...still looking for something more long-term and career-basing, but it mightnt be til the new year that things kick up a bit in that department.

*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

spartan117 Oct 3 2013, 2:21pm

Achievements: 16

I'm fully expecting to be homeless by next Tuesday because nobody is interested in hiring me to do anything, and my stepmom seems to think that I've not done anything to get a job because I'm not spending each and every day driving around and looking. Yeah, because I totally have to spend all day driving around and looking when all I'm going to be told is "go apply online."

Seriously, it's pissing me off. I've sent out well over a dozen applications for entry-level positions and I have heard nothing. The closest I've gotten to getting hired so far was when the manager of a local Office Depot e-mailed me to come into the store to take an assessment. I took the assessment and apparently they didn't like my responses so I was no longer considered for the position.

Every other application was either never seen by someone because of how I filled them out, or did get seen and was never even considered.

My stepmom has been threatening to kick me out for the last two weeks. She actually issued an ultimatum, telling me to find a job in two weeks or I would be kicked out. She then gave me an additional week. I currently have two outstanding applications, beyond these two I don't know where else to even look. Even if I did, I wouldn't get hired before next Tuesday anyway.

At this point I just want to tell her to kick me out, I don't even give a shit anymore. At least it'd get me away from her.

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

grunty_thirst Oct 4 2013, 8:03am

Yeah, because I totally have to spend all day driving around and looking when all I'm going to be told is "go apply online.".

Yeah I hate that thought, like you can literally walk-in and just 'get a job'. In a highly competitive era for work, especially just to get started somewhere, I doubt people will give a shit if you 'make an impression' by walking into the place. And then as you say, so many places are using those assessment checks as part of the recruitment process, most of which is bs for the type of work you're doing. E-mail is as effective as any means for getting yourself out there, and companies will keep you on file if they are interested in you. That's how I got my first Archaeology gig, not from advertising, but just from sending in my resume, and it so happened they wanted more people to fill in their casual team- quite a few months later I'll add.

Everything has its own process and it just takes longer and longer to jump through the hoops and only then often falling out at that final in-take. Takes a bit of patience and a tad helping of luck, as much as seeking for the opportunity. I hate to say that in one sense, 'the opportunity presents itself', moreso than you will find it by driving around all day looking for it (to use your example), but I still think its partly true (which only makes the 'looking' more frustrating imo).

*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

spartan117 Oct 4 2013, 2:10pm

Yeah, because I totally have to spend all day driving around and looking when all I'm going to be told is "go apply online.".

Yeah I hate that thought, like you can literally walk-in and just 'get a job'. In a highly competitive era for work, especially just to get started somewhere, I doubt people will give a shit if you 'make an impression' by walking into the place. And then as you say, so many places are using those assessment checks as part of the recruitment process, most of which is bs for the type of work you're doing. E-mail is as effective as any means for getting yourself out there, and companies will keep you on file if they are interested in you. That's how I got my first Archaeology gig, not from advertising, but just from sending in my resume, and it so happened they wanted more people to fill in their casual team- quite a few months later I'll add.

Everything has its own process and it just takes longer and longer to jump through the hoops and only then often falling out at that final in-take. Takes a bit of patience and a tad helping of luck, as much as seeking for the opportunity. I hate to say that in one sense, 'the opportunity presents itself', moreso than you will find it by driving around all day looking for it (to use your example), but I still think its partly true (which only makes the 'looking' more frustrating imo).

Yep. You're right. You want to know how my stepmom got her job? She spent a year complaining about how she needed one and never bothered looking because she was too busy bar hopping and giving me shit, and one day she saw a friend of hers at a bar, they started talking, and an hour later she got a job at a towing company answering dispatch calls.

That's cool and all but when you don't have any REAL work experience or connections like I do it will never be that easy. I just wish she would be more supportive of my situation and understand that I've felt like a depression-ridden sack of shit since I had to stop going to college. I wish she'd take a minute break from her berateful, derogatory, condescending, disrespectful insults and realize that I need help with finding work. I wish she would stop assuming things and just be a parent. I wish she would act more like a mom and not some hate-filled, God-fearing bitch.

I know I'm 20 and unemployed but jesus christ, I don't know what the hell I'm doing and I'd like some help to reach financial independence, but all she sees is some lazy autisitc manchild who refuses to get a job because all she does is assume, dramatize, exaggerate, and blow things out of proportion.

And, you know what? I'm afraid to tell her this. I'm afraid because I know there's a greater chance that she'll give me a tough love "deal with it" approach over a caring, nurturing "I love you and you're a part of my family" approach.

It's a shame. I thought she was cool and nice and wonderful and caring when my dad got with her and for once it looked like I was finally moving away from my room and doing something with myself. And for awhile I was. I was on the fast track to success, excelling in my major at college, getting straight A's, and it was all taken away from me.

If you're a parent, you don't put a kid through a semester of courses, watch them transform into a happy person, and then pull all of that away from them and tell them "you have three weeks to get a job or we're kicking you out."

In what universe is that even appropriate? Maybe if I were some piece of shit no-good kid, yeah. But I'm not. I never asked anything of her. Ever. Everything she and my dad have ever done for me was because they offered and I said "Yes." Not once did I say "Hey can you put me through college?", or "Hey, can I move in?". They offered, and I accepted.

I have done NOTHING wrong and she's making me feel like a worthless, no-good piece of filth and I don't appreciate it in the slightest. I don't do that to her. I never have and never will. My dad has never raised his hand against her children or told them what to do because it isn't his place to do so, but she seems perfectly okay with controlling every aspect of my life in the most egocentric, self-centered, disrespectful manner.

When it was decided that I was moving in, she said I could have her youngest son's room because he was moving to his sister's room since she is out-of-state for college. She said she would fix up the room and get it ready for me to move in. She never did, until a few days ago when she chewed me out over nothing.

You know why she didn't do it sooner? She didn't want to because to her all I'm doing is sitting on my ass, doing nothing, and sleeping all day.

I just want her to be a mom. That's all. That's the one thing I want her to do, and I know that will never happen.

Trumpetman09
Nov 1 2013, 4:52am

Achievements: 25

Hey all, boy has it been...a while... Oops.

I've been so busy with work and school and all those other things, that I've not really been posting on any site a lot. I really miss posting on here on the way that I used to. Not much to really update other than just being busy. Sorry, super boring life apparently. >.>

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

squattingb
Nov 4 2013, 6:55pm

Achievements: 24

I know it's been a month s117 but I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your stepmom and finding a job. I hope that the situation has changed since your post. If you're still around and still looking for a job, while it's certainly true that a lot of places expect you to apply online through the usual channels, I can tell you from experience that it actually can make a difference to show up in person.

If you go into a store, you can ask to talk to the manager or someone in a high-up position and tell them that you're looking for a job and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to get that job and work as hard as you can, hand them your resume and see what they say. If you demonstrate commitment and that you're willing to do what it takes, they'll definitely consider you. It is better to at least try that than to have not tried at all. You can't say for sure that they'll just turn you away and tell you to apply online or using some other method until you've tried. I know that's really hard to do and it's not easy to get yourself to go out there and put yourself in that vulnerable position but if you do it, I am certain you'll turn up with something.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Nov 4 2013, 10:31pm

I know it's been a month s117 but I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your stepmom and finding a job. I hope that the situation has changed since your post. If you're still around and still looking for a job, while it's certainly true that a lot of places expect you to apply online through the usual channels, I can tell you from experience that it actually can make a difference to show up in person.

If you go into a store, you can ask to talk to the manager or someone in a high-up position and tell them that you're looking for a job and that you're willing to do whatever it takes to get that job and work as hard as you can, hand them your resume and see what they say. If you demonstrate commitment and that you're willing to do what it takes, they'll definitely consider you. It is better to at least try that than to have not tried at all. You can't say for sure that they'll just turn you away and tell you to apply online or using some other method until you've tried. I know that's really hard to do and it's not easy to get yourself to go out there and put yourself in that vulnerable position but if you do it, I am certain you'll turn up with something.

Thanks for the advice. I actually got an interview scheduled for the day she was going to give me the boot, but I left about a week beforehand and stayed with my sister for awhile. The work is easy, my boss is super friendly, and it gives me something to do.

squattingb
Nov 4 2013, 10:46pm

Nice! Glad you found something man.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Cyborg Nov 20 2013, 1:29am

Achievements: 9

I came back to see Geo Ghost's departure message and that's got me kinda bummed out now. It really makes me realize how much I wish I had been more active here. I've had a lot of good memories from discovering this site in my early teens. I've grown up a lot since then as I'm sure you all have.

I'm not sure how many of you are still here, but this was one of the best communities I belonged to.

Thank You
CyborgAlert

Scar Nov 20 2013, 10:20am

A few stragglers are still hanging around, and that's enough to keep me around ha. Great to see you again, though!

squattingb
Nov 28 2013, 12:51am

I remember you Cyborg , good to see you.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Scar Dec 20 2013, 10:35am

*watches internet tumbleweed roll by*

So... How's it going, guys? Good holiday season for y'all so far?

Gaia
Jan 3 2014, 6:12pm

Hey Scar Hey Cyborg Hi Trumpetman Hi spartan117

Hi SB

Yeah, it's been a pretty good holiday. It is sad to see this forum disappearing, but we should all connect on Facebook so that when Edgeworks gets something going we can all reconnect and get back together here.

Friend me on FB at Rebecca Winn in Dallas

You can't miss me, I'm the one with all the friends from The Codex

Thanks to Of Doom, SB, Vagna, Chickenyoda2, Thrall, and Sparx for my beautiful sig pics.
And thanks to SB, Keyes, Caboose, Geo, and Muffin for my awesome birthday pics!

Thank you for the pips TB!!

"I'm not bad.....I'm just drawn that way." ~ Jessica Rabbit
"That in which you have confidence will come to you, be it good or bad. Believe it and it is yours." Campbell
"Whatever you believe you can do, begin it, for boldness has genius and power and magic in it." - Goethe
"Whether your sunglasses are off or on, you only see the world you make." Raitt
"Gaia is the Goddess of the Forums" - RvB_Private_Caboose
"Texas: We have Gaia. t3h win" - Naveegunner
"OMG, U R So 1337!!!!!111oneoneone" - SMJ
See ya...sweetie.

Thank you soooooooo much TB2571989.

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,777 posts across 6,596 threads
in the 12 years, 9 months, and 14 days since our first post.
We have 3,504 registered members.
The newest member is Kindlad1983.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List