You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Off Topic   »   What's on your mind? How are you feeling today?
grunty_thirst Aug 18 2012, 12:47pm

Achievements: 15

Currently not enjoying my Uni work...been struggling to 'define my topic' in coordination with my supervisor for weeks now. Even after the crash, I thought I could catch up ok but I'm still so far behind, and then on Friday past he basically says that nearly all the parts on my area of study have been covered. Great. Seriously. Why not tell me this in the first place and tell me to do something else? End result is now I need to somehow come up with a new and semi-original approach or slant on an old idea or whatever, and I have no idea where the hell thats meant to come from.

Need to do so much this week because Im planning to go away for the weekend for a trip with friends which may carry over til Tuesday/Wednesday but I cant really do anything productive until the topic is finally well and truly set. Ergh, not holding high hopes at this rate. /vent.

Also, all guns are bad. Need anymore be said?

-------------------------------
And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Trance Aug 18 2012, 3:16pm

Achievements: 14

If that's where this conversation is headed, then no.

Trumpetman09
Aug 18 2012, 4:54pm

Achievements: 25

My personal opinion is that I have no problem with people owning guns or even other weapons such as spears, knives, sticks, bottles, desks, pillows, cans, nose trimmers, razors, toe nail clippers, etc. All things in the household can be used as a weapon.

I was writing out this massive essay outlining each side of the argument and then conclude it with how I feel....however it was boring...so here is this:

TLDR; Guns are neutral. People are good, bad, and neutral. It is the people who choose sides where they fall. They can become evil by killing others or they can become good by protecting others, heck they can even become neutral by doing neither. It's all a matter of what people decide.

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Reaper195 Aug 18 2012, 10:10pm

Achievements: 18

I agree with you, Trumpet. Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people. But the thing is, too many people decide to use guns to attack other people, rob places, etc. And since you can't control what people do, you take away what they can use. Hence why in the US, gun crime rates are high. But you go to a country where the gun laws are strict as hell, and the gun crime rates are incredibly low.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

spartan117 Aug 18 2012, 11:53pm

Achievements: 16

So how about that weather?

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

S64 Aug 19 2012, 12:27am

Location: The mystical land where rap doesn't exist. I love where I am.
Achievements: 12

But the issue with a gun is that it has no other purpose. It is quite literally a killing machine.

Pretty much everything else that can be used as a weapon has some other purpose. A gun does not. It just kills. It is made to kill.

Should also get into this. I don't wanna fight off Ms. Fry-Pan-and-Supa-MAC-wielding-God-modding-word-I-can't-say-for-fear-of-being-ripped-to-f(bleep)ing-shreds by myself.
-Spazbro, giving a short description of me

I wanna go out the same way I came in. Kicking, screaming, and in a vagina.
-Scar

My hobby: Going to scary movies, waiting till intense parts, then pushing the person in front of me.

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

Trumpetman09
Aug 19 2012, 12:28am

So how about the weather?

It's sunny with a chance of shotgun to the face ha-ya! (Sorry, I was channeling Sarge from Red vs Blue there...)

Meh, this is why I will never be a politician as far as arguing for gun rights as I honestly don't care. I agree with both sides. Also, the fact is that I don't own a gun nor do I feel the urge to get one. Trance and you, Reaper, probably have more opinion on the matter.

-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this

grunty_thirst Aug 19 2012, 1:45am

If that's where this conversation is headed, then no.

I just found it amusing to be picking out the 'lethality' of ammunition from a device which, on the whole as 64 noted, is designed to kill...or 'severely maim' at the best of times. That and I don't pretend to really understand US gun law (not even sure what ours is tbh), hence the 'guns are bad imo 2centskthnx'.

Guns are just bad news...I'd like to know how many 'accidental' injuries/fatalities occur as much as any intentional use of firearms go in a hold up or whatnot. I just can't see how limiting their use and availability would do anything but decrease such instances. Sure they'll still be some dodgey people out there who will get there hands on them, thats always been a truth, but I'd like to indulge in the belief it would make some kind of difference to simply get rid of them...

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Aglor Aug 19 2012, 2:05am

Achievements: 20

Ugh... gun debates. The one issue I don't care about at all.

Anyway, I'm feeling blue. Sorta sucks. I'll try just sleeping it off.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Trumpetman09
Aug 19 2012, 2:35am

Here, I know what can make you feel better!! *gives Aglor a Teddybear*

Does that make you feel better?

As for me, I have been VERY VERY busy with this film project. I am about to start shooting tuesday and thursday. Hopefully I will have it done around mid-september...HOPEFULLY. I don't know though, it's going to be hard to edit while also going to school and work...boo!

-The Norm Meme

Disease Aug 19 2012, 2:35am

Sleep is usually good lol. That and playing some good ol vidya are good stress relievers.

Speaking of which, my god. been playing the Mann vs Machine mode in Team Fortress 2. Just finally beat my first game in the 'Mann Up' servers. Only took 3 and a half hours, and I got s*** loot, but idc. Hearing the other people on my team scream into their mics with joy is good enough.

Closed out of the game and immediately played this song.

edit: Good luck with that, Trumpetman. I know how difficult it is to edit those long videos ._.. Hope it turns out great

My Livestream Channel

spartan117 Aug 19 2012, 3:10am

Achievements: 16

Here's my problem with firearm debates.

When people say "All guns are bad, they're designed for the sole purpose of killing people" it makes me think "Well gee, I guess the same exact argument can be applied to violent video games, violent movies, violent comic books, violent cartoons, violent TV shows, and news reports on violent crimes."

Think about it. In cases where an individual carries out an act of incredible violence and it is discovered that this person regularly indulged in violent video games, a massive shitstorm brews wherein one half of those involved blame the video game industry and the other half blame the individual or their parents. Similar arguments regularly seen in gun debates crop up in these kinds of cases. (e.g. video games don't kill people, people kill people = guns don't kill people, people kill people)

So, if guns are bad because they promote and advocate violence, I guess all forms of violent media are bad, too.

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

Reaper195 Aug 19 2012, 5:42am

@ 64: Yes, guns were made to replace swords. They were designed with the sole purpose of killing someone. Which is why I think they should be strictly controlled. No one bar military and specific police and government agencies should have access to firearms.

But in the end, I don't live in the US, so it's not overly a big deal here. I just think the US gun laws are slack as hell, and that the ability for someone to legally buy armour-piercing rounds is stupid.

Still no job. On unemployment benefit. Have next to no money. Bored as christ on a cross. I look at my collection of video games and cry knowing that I've replayed almost all of them to death, and most in recent months, too. As for the weather...it's raining so hard, it's hard to hear...

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trumpetman09
Aug 19 2012, 6:20am

I look at my collection of video games and cry knowing that I've replayed almost all of them to death, and most in recent months, too.

Here's an idea for you...save up about 25 shells(dollars...pounds...monopoly money) and buy an N64 on ebay. Typically those come with a few games that are awesome. I got my new N64 off ebay with about 7 games(I think...) and I still haven't beaten them all...Plus those games sell for super cheap!

-The Norm Meme

Reaper195 Aug 19 2012, 3:54pm

I already played those to death during my childhood. And nostalgia doesn't fix Old Game Syndrome. I considered carrying on with the train set me and my father started a decade ago....but that also requires money....

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Disease Aug 19 2012, 6:58pm

Just like everything else worthwhile in this world, unfortunately :/

My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Aug 19 2012, 7:50pm

It's even worse when a new game that looks awesome comes out. All I can go is steal my flatmates computer and cry as I'm forced to download the game and run it on somewhat low-end graphics (Damn you, Sleeping Dogs!) settings. Or when a new series/movie comes out on DVD...a pirates life is now once again the life for me...I can't even afford the bottle of win...

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

grunty_thirst Aug 19 2012, 9:10pm

Here's an idea for you...save up about 25 shells(dollars...pounds...monopoly money) and buy an N64 on ebay. Typically those come with a few games that are awesome. I got my new N64 off ebay with about 7 games(I think...) and I still haven't beaten them all...Plus those games sell for super cheap!

Been wanting to buy a stack of ol' N64 games for a while now but I don't have the money to spare it. Tried looking about some game stores, cash converters and general second-hand places around here but most the good ones are probably in Melbourne and I don't have the time for that either. Think it may be my summer ambition, go outside and look for games that will keep me inside, lol

*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Aglor Aug 20 2012, 1:05am

Achievements: 20

I felt a bit better after some sleep, but I'm still feeling pretty blue tonight. Might have something to do with class tomorrow (have to get up in about five and a half hours). I'm not sure. We'll see how it all goes tomorrow.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

grunty_thirst Aug 20 2012, 9:05am

I felt a bit better after some sleep, but I'm still feeling pretty blue tonight. Might have something to do with class tomorrow (have to get up in about five and a half hours). I'm not sure. We'll see how it all goes tomorrow.

Sleep does amazing things really. It's a good cure for not feeling altogether great, and obviously if you're feeling tired...just be pretty certain you may actually be relaxed/distracted enough to get to sleep though. I've been stuck awake a fair few nights recently, thoughts running about my head stopping me from getting that sleep. Annoying as all hell.

*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
WaitingForASuperman (26)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List