You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Video Games   »   Xbox One
Reaper195 Jun 19 2013, 6:43pm

Achievements: 18

So...Microsoft just reneged on a bunch of its DRM policies. This is...interesting.

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Zukan Jun 20 2013, 6:34am

Achievements: 13

Microsoft's creepy privacy invading features couldn't have been announced at a worse time. Coinciding with the recent outrage towards PRISM and NSA digital surveillance, they pretty much shoot themselves in the foot.

Moral of the story?

Just make a goddamn video game console.

Reaper195 Jun 20 2013, 4:53pm

Huh, I never even connected the two together. Almost kind of worries me. MS didn't make any announcment on the Kinect though, so I assume that will still come with the XBox without much of a choice.

Speaking of which. I borrowed my brothers Kinect a week or two ago and played one of the Kinect games. It felt waaaaaay too much like a slightly advanced form of EyeToy for me to like. I also hate moving and jumping around to make a raft bounce or move. I want to hire out that Fable game sometime, since a lot of people are saying that's the best Kinect game released so far (And you can play while sitting down!). I've also had a go with Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. Skyrim was an...interesting eperience. It's pretty neat to be in the map, say one of the major cities/towns and the map automatically cut to it, instead of slowly scrolling from Solitude to Riften, same with equipping items in preperation for a battle, or even when just skill grinding. But in combat, opening the quick-items menu is a hell of a lot safer. The last thing you want to do is switch from a bow to sword and shield while some dude is bearing down on your ass with a massive orc greatsword, only to end up flopping out your candlelight spell. That said, yelling out the dragon shouts in the dragon language is top, if finicky with some words.

Mass Effect 3...it's just quicker to hit the A button to talk to someone, or select a conversation option. But during combat and I'm being swarmed by dudes? "Vega, Carnage! Javik, Lift Grenade! BIOTIC CHARGE, NIGGGGAAAAAAAAHHHH!". You can yell commands out really quickly, and assuming you have it on your countries dialect, it's incredibly accurate. Combat was quite fun, especially now that I can use all of my powers (Vanguard for the win) without considering what three to hot key, and what 'rest-of-them' to have to go into the powers menu to use.

My flatmate and I were also discussing how it would be top to use voice commands for XCOM, such as moving around the base, giving orders to soldiers on the field (The only thing we would need to manually control is the movement) like yelling "Rocket asshole Muton flanking Steve/Enemy 1 (Since the enemies would be assigns numbers underneath the alien symbol).". That would be fun as dicks.

OT: So yeah, XBone now being considered to buy. I might still wait a year for it to drop in price, and for people to discover the technical problems. Considering what happened with the 360, I'm not sure if MS will decide to spend a bit more and make a less cheap-ass console that won't boil itself alive because of (Was it because of?) cheap heat sink/thermal paste and a shoddy disc drive. I'll probably get a PS4 on launch, since I never heard any problems with the launches of the PS2 or PS3. Although I might google that for a while.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Reaper195 Aug 8 2013, 11:06pm

So the XBone was unboxed today, confirming a couple of things and making you go "lulwat?" at the end. We now get a headset straight off the bat instead of having to buy one, and the XBone will also have a power brick. Which I'm somewhat miffed about. I already don't like the brick on the 360 (It ruins the cord length by needing to place the brick somewhere, instead of having the cord just fall down the back of a cabinet). But then again, me not being technically savvy, I don't know why the consoles have bricks to begin with.

The end of that video...why? I'm genuinely interested why the XBone can power on without the power connected (I assume by some inbuilt battery thing). But I can't think of a situation I've ever been in, or anyone being in, where a console needs to be turned on without being plugged in.

....aside from removing a disc.

.......and that's it.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Sneaky
Aug 9 2013, 12:01am

Achievements: 17

The end of that video...why? I'm genuinely interested why the XBone can power on without the power connected (I assume by some inbuilt battery thing). But I can't think of a situation I've ever been in, or anyone being in, where a console needs to be turned on without being plugged in.

....aside from removing a disc.

.......and that's it.
Watch it again, the power brick and plug disappeared between cuts on the table on his left.

QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Feb 25 2007, 12:05 AM )
You definitely get the "I tried hardest to sponsor" award!
I have lost friends, some by death... others through sheer inability to cross the street.
  - Virginia Woolf

Reaper195 Aug 9 2013, 12:17am

But it's back when he goes to hit the button. Of course, the camera focuses just on the consoles' front, so it could be plugged in anyway. Either way....my question still stands, considering that is what the video seems to be trying to convey.

Also, that sound the console made when he pushed the button....why does everything have to sound so...light? The last console that had an intro sound which sounded amazing was the original PlayStation. Nothing sounds remotely as powerful anymore.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Zukan Aug 9 2013, 3:28am

Achievements: 13

I still don't understand why people are even remotely interested in that machine. The only reason I can think of is that Xbox users don't want to leave their Xbox Live friends when buying a new console.

Reaper195 Aug 9 2013, 7:35am

The controller. And Halo.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

squattingb
Aug 10 2013, 1:16pm

Achievements: 24

Halo, I prefer the controller. I like the exclusive games, and I prefer the M$ ecosystem.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Reaper195 Aug 28 2013, 4:46pm

So now we no longer need to have the Kinect plugged in to run the console. I kind of wish they would release the console without it for a hundred bucks cheaper, but Microsoft seem very intent on pushing the Kinect and making it work. Maybe if it was integrated into games better, instead of seeming rather shoehorned. It worked fine for Skyrim and Mass Effect 3, where you can yell out commands on the fly (Especially with Mass Effect 3, ordering team mates to do shit without opening the power wheel to swap to a different power, etc.). But even while those work smoothly, they don't add enough in to make buying a Kinect worth it. And then you have games where you have to move around and such to play the game...which kind of defeats the purpose of a console.

Still, I'm planning on waiting a year simply to sus out the hardware issues, or if there are any. Especially after the horse shittery that was the 360's launch problems. Dat warblegarble disc drive.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
scar415 (29), Zofinda (29)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List