You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Movies   »   World War Z
Reaper195 Nov 8 2012, 11:09pm

Achievements: 18

The trailer for this has just been released and looks incredibly awesome. It also looks like it might be one of the most expensive and biggest zombie films ever made. I'm surprised Brad Pitt is in it, but I've yet to see a movie where at least Pitt himself wasn't bad. The only downside the trailer blatantly throws out is that the zombies are the running kind. But then again, while everyone was going on about 28 Days Later being a crap zombie film because they ran, I thought it and it's sequel were great (However they were not zombies, by any means).

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Disease Nov 8 2012, 11:41pm

Achievements: 15

I think it looks good, even though it strays far from the book I've heard.

One thing I don't like is the amount of zombies. There was a part in the trailer that showed them just bum rushing down an ally, climbing over each other, that just looked really goofy/cheesy imo (not to mention the zombie ladder. wtf?)

My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Nov 9 2012, 2:05pm

I thought that was actually rather accurate, particularly the scene where they are just rolling over each other in that alley way. You have almost an entire city that is zombies, and you have thousands of them running after you (Disappointed that they are running). They have no instinct other than getting their decayed hands on your delicious brains. There is no order whatsoever. If someone trips, they will be crushed and run over. It makes a lot of sense to see a massive horde almost 'wave' over the ground and down those stairs. I'm very surprised no one has done anything like that before. And when I saw that zombie pile outside that wall near the end of the trailer, I nearly squirted myself in terror. Zombie films have never really been that scary (Closest was 28 Days Later...and not zombies), but zombies themselves have. And, again, it's something that seems to have not happened in films. The zombies always seem to stand in almost orderly rows as they try to horde to a fence instead of constantly piling on top of each other until the pile gets so high, they start spilling over the edges.

This was also blatantly mentioned in both WWZ book and the Zombie Survival Guide, zombies just piling up to get over, or crush, barricades, or simply rolling over one another to get at someone. This is one of the few zombie films that accurately shows just what a metric fuck tonne of zombies actually looks like, instead of a 'horde' only being a hundred or two zombies. Granted, that probably coems down to most zombie hordes in film and TV being extras instead of CGI...but I guess you have to sacrifice live virgins....I mean extras...if you want to have thousands of zombies swarm down a road with no regard for any safety whatsoever.

In the end, all we can do is hope the movie ends up being really, really good. Although I expect it to be rather average. Well, I expect the script to be average. I expect Brad Pitt ton be incredibly good. This will also be the first sci-fi/horror films I think I've ever seen him in. Has he been in any others?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Zukan Nov 9 2012, 4:37pm

Achievements: 13

everything has a Z attached to it nowadays, is it like the i-Pod equivalent of a zombie?

Spazbro Nov 12 2012, 9:24am

Achievements: 9

Yeah, bit disappointed that they're running (and JUMPING?! Come on), but is definitely accurate.

"There is no such thing as a real truth. Just lies, the people who say them and the guns they fire."

Damn you bastards and you're Eastern Hemisphere!

666 posts! Date: Friday 11th of June. Time: 10:08 PM.

The Muffin King Nov 15 2012, 1:14pm

Achievements: 12

The zombie-pile/mountain/ladder was the only thing that seemed to be taken from the book other than the title.

To me it just looks like an action movie whereas the book was a tale of humanity. I dunno, maybe it's just the trailer but I don't have very high hopes for the movie as a faithful adaptation.

That said, it looks amazing.

Signatures are for chumps

Reaper195 Jun 18 2013, 9:44pm

Faithful adaptation? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- no.

Good movie?

....meh?

None of the characters were really that interesting, and the only thing that made Brad Pitt's character more than just a dude who witnesses these random events like someone from the last two Assassins Creed games is that he wants to go home to his family. And that's it. The zombies run, which irked me right off the bat (As, while they can be terrifying if done correctly like British TV miniseries Dead Set (Which is disgustingly scary and brilliant, you should all watch it)), and since it got a PG-13, it was hard to find them remotely scary when you didn't seem to see them do anything threatening aside from jump onto people and then thrash their head all up and down someone's chest. Or neck. It looked too...

I do like me glorified violence (Hell, one of my favourite TV shows is Spartacus), but I don't believe violence makes things better. On the other hand, I don't believe not having violence simply to get a lower rating will make a movie remotely better. There's this one scene when Brad Pitt gets a crowbar stuck in a zombie's head and is trying to pull it out. But for a moment, I had no idea what the hell he was doing, since I didn't even know the crowbar even did anything aside from being swung in the general direction of the zombie.

Now comes the worst part. While it's by no means a bad film (It's definitely worth a watch, even if just to see the whole Israel wall thing, which is fantastic, if short lived), I spent the entire movie constantly being reminded that this would have been much better as a single season, 12 episode series on HBO or Showtime. Yes, we would have had graphic violence. We also probably would've had some titties somehow. But we also would have had some brilliant writing, characterisation, story and been, atmospherically speaking, much closer to the book. As a movie, World War Z was impossible to make it like the book short of making it into a mockumentory.

The only thing that was closest to the book was Israel being walled off from the rest of the world. And even then, that scene was only about fifteen minutes long, if that. We never got to see what happened in a lot of other countries, and we only got glimpses in the ones we did get to see. And the ending...dear god, that ending. It was the most generic war ending ever. "This is not the end of the war, only the beginning. We will fight, hope, other patriotic shit that we somewhat stole from Red Dawn.". I hope this film doesn't get a sequel, and sooner or later, does get turned into the high budget, high quality TV series it deserves.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Cpt McMuffin (29), EL STEVIEO (25)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List