You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Movies   »   Dark Knight Rises
squattingb
Jul 27 2012, 10:19am

Achievements: 24

If you haven't seen the movie yet you should probably stay away from this thread.

I watched it last night (finally?) and was definitely pretty excited about it. I'm not one to get really excited for superhero movies, I just enjoy good movies and it just so happens that the past few superhero movies have been amazing (Avengers).

This movie though... I was left feeling unfulfilled when the credits started rolling though I feel better about it now that I've had some time to think about it and talk it over with my girlfriend whom I went to see it with.

The characters in this movie had so much potential and none of them seemed to have been exploited to take advantage of it all.

Bane was AMAZING and Tom Hardy did an excellent job of portraying the character though nowhere close to the calibre of the late Heath Ledger. Bane's personality seemed to hint at a far more sinister genius and evil than his actions would portray, his final plan for the city seemed so amateur and coarse, almost seemingly done to remind us of those simplistic 1950s comic book villains when the medium was starting to go out of style.

The lessons learned by Bruce while in the prison seemed like it should have been a much bigger deal than it ended up being. Realizing that his lack of fear of death was a crutch instead of his strength and while it almost seemed like there should have been some major realizations regarding his pent-up anger, nothing came of it. And after leaving the prison, his actions afterwards would suggest that it could have never happened and would not have made a difference. Some reviewers say that it all went towards helping Bruce to realize that he could have a life outside of his vigilante justice as evidenced by the end of the movie but I don't think there was enough done or shown to truly reinforce that.

Couple of other short notes because I don't really have the verbosity to finish this review...
1. Catwoman was unnecessary
2. The two "romantic" scenes were awkward and added nothing to the movie
3. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character needed more, too much wasted potential (a common theme here).
4. The police chief's death should have meant more than it did, could have been a really emotional scene.
5. First half of the movie was really well done, second half felt rushed, too many shortcuts despite the almost 3-hour running time.
6. The ending felt random at the time but was actually pretty clever looking back on it now.

Your thoughts?

-------------------------------
R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Sarge McCla Jul 28 2012, 3:55pm

Achievements: 11

*spoiler alert*

I thought Bane's plan was brilliant. Inflame the resentment and class envy of Gotham's lower class in order to give him his own personal army and cover for his greater goal. It was reminiscent of similar revolutions in Russia and Cuba, and given Nolan's propensity for tying Batman very closely to the real world, it came off as entirely plausible that a bellicose, charismatic strong-man could spark off that kind of misguided revolutionary fervor that doomed so many in the past.

Also thought that Jonathan Crane (Scarecrow) running a kangaroo court was kind of darkly hilarious.

spartan117 Jul 28 2012, 11:57pm

Achievements: 16

I don't know why this had The Dark Knight in its' title.

Considering that Batman is gone for over 70% of the movie it should have just been called "Bane and Catwoman."

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

Reaper195 Jul 29 2012, 5:13pm

Achievements: 18

Kind of like how Dark Knight should really have been called "The Joker, with special guest, Batman"...or something along those lines.

But in the end, even with the games and cartoons and such, I've always found that the Batman villians/allies have always had more character and motivations than Batman's "My parents are dead, I'm rich. I'm going to fight bad guys. Look at all these bullshit gadgets I use! I'm like a less sci-fi version of Superman during the sixties!". Not to mention Christian Bale doesn't really add anything to Batman/Wayne, short of that ridiculous voice which has only ever worked for Rorschach.

Still want to see this movie. But it's three goddamn hours. And the seats at my theatre are terrible. I might just sneak my couch in one night when no one is watching.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

spartan117 Jul 31 2012, 2:37am

Achievements: 16

Kind of like how Dark Knight should really have been called "The Joker, with special guest, Batman"...or something along those lines.

But in the end, even with the games and cartoons and such, I've always found that the Batman villians/allies have always had more character and motivations than Batman's "My parents are dead, I'm rich. I'm going to fight bad guys. Look at all these bullshit gadgets I use! I'm like a less sci-fi version of Superman during the sixties!". Not to mention Christian Bale doesn't really add anything to Batman/Wayne, short of that ridiculous voice which has only ever worked for Rorschach.

Still want to see this movie. But it's three goddamn hours. And the seats at my theatre are terrible. I might just sneak my couch in one night when no one is watching.

Fun fact, all of Batman's villains are amalgamations of everything that Bruce Wayne experienced, and they all represent the fine line which separates Batman from all of the crazy psychos he fights.

Harvey Dent is likely the best Bruce Wayne-parallel villain in the entire series, but Nolan fucked that up so bad. Harvey got much less screen time than everybody else in TDK, which is bullshit because Two-Face is literally the coolest Batman villain. In TDK, Harvey more or less felt like another wrench to throw in the story rather than a real, fleshed out villain.

The comic books/graphic novels are very good at explaining this. It should come as no surprise that hollywood does an awful job with character development.

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

Scar Jul 31 2012, 10:16am

Achievements: 12

But the Joker has always been the more popular villain, so Two-Face more or less just became a key part of Joker's plan, so they ended up sacrificing Two-face's development for Joker's.

Still, in regard to this particular trilogy and how they handled Bruce Wayne becoming Batman in the first movie, I thought they did a great job making Bane a parallel to him.

Reaper195 Aug 12 2012, 7:57am

Achievements: 18

Just got back from the movie, and I find myself agreeing with most of what SB said. Although I think instead of not having Catwoman, they could've dispelled that Taggert guy entirely and focus that time on making Kyle a real character, instead of a plot device that made out with Batman and Wayne. And looked damn fine in a latex suit on a bike. Dat ass.

I freakin' loved Bane and his insane strength (That final fight between him and Batman was brilliant, and when Batman broke his mask and he want all mental....brilliant.), but like SB said, he hinted at much more than simply creating a class war and then blowing everyone up. Maybe I missed something, but after he took over Gothem, there didn't seem to be any other plan, or continuation of one. Just...take over, then blow up? I was also slightly miffed at how underplayed his whole sewer worker city thing was. It all seemed to happen rather fast with a lack of "Holy shit...something mad is going on underneath the city" until everything underneath the city actually starts going mad. I was rather surprised that Thalia turned out to be A: The child that climbed from the pit and B: Even in the movie. I did always wonder who the child's protector was (Even going so far as to think it might've been a young Alfred?), but her addition seemed rather...pointless. Or rather, all of a sudden. Sure it was meant as a revelation twist more than something subtle, but it seemed to come and go in the space of fifteen minutes.

In fact, given it's near three hour runtime, a fair amount of the film felt rushed. Wayne in the pit seemed both quickly dealt with, as well as completely ignored after he escaped (In fact, the movie could've done without the pit at all and spent that time beefing up everything else), the police chief's death, the death of the mayor (Which was completely unmentioned after the fact), how Taggart was even involved with Bane in the first place (Unless I missed that part)...

I guess I could nitpick as much as I want, since there were a few things I would've changed, but that's it. I would've done something different. Nolan did his own thingg, and for the whole, it worked. It was three hours of a good film I have no problem paying for (As opposed to Ted, which I saw a few days ago. Not bad, but I wouldn't pay for it. Pirates life is the life for me!), and have no problem watching again.

Although after TDK, I really missed the dark, insane tone that was introduced. DKR was still brutally cool, but it lacked that....ness...which TDK had. Maybe that was just the difference between The Joker being the centre of the film as opposed to Bane.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List