You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Movies   »   Act of Valor
Sarge McCla Feb 25 2012, 1:48pm

Achievements: 11

Just saw this movie last night. It was...interesting. Kind of a patchwork film. If you don't already know, Act of Valor is a film about the Navy SEALS, starring Navy SEALS. That decision ends up sacrificing one aspect of the film to boost up another aspect to the extreme. Namely, acting is lost. However the action sequences are some of the best and most realistic I've ever seen in a war movie.

Now since acting is one of my fields of study I usually tend to nitpick it in films, but I honestly can't bring myself to with Act of Valor. The creators made a conscious decision to include actual Navy SEALS instead of professional actors. Every one of the SEALS portrayed in this movie is the real deal. They are actual operators, and watching them work their way through the action scenes is frankly incredible. I can't help but feel that had this been a documentary and not had a narrative it would have been much, much better.

That said, if you can get past the awkward line readings this should be quite the enjoyable movie for any fans of the U.S Military (as I am).

And for anyone who may be concerned that a film supported by the Navy that portrays the SEALS in an entirely positive light may fall into the category of propaganda, let me assure you that the movie is about as devoid of politics as a film about war can be. It also fails to function as any sort of effective recruitment tool. Act of Valor is simply an honest look at SEALS and the life they lead.

So, anyone else seen the film? What do you think?

squattingb
Feb 25 2012, 8:12pm

Achievements: 24

i really do want to watch it, will do asap.

-------------------------------
R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Sneaky
Feb 25 2012, 11:02pm

Achievements: 17

Would have seen it yesterday but am on-call so cant really do that much so will be seeing it Monday after work

-------------------------------

QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Feb 25 2007, 12:05 AM )
You definitely get the "I tried hardest to sponsor" award!
I have lost friends, some by death... others through sheer inability to cross the street.
  - Virginia Woolf

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
ElectroRent (30)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List