Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Video Games   »   Mass Effect 3
Disease Mar 21 2012, 7:21pm

Achievements: 15

Oh yeah :/

-------------------------------
My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Mar 21 2012, 11:30pm

Achievements: 18

Apparently ME3 looks better on 360. My flatmate had the game running on all settings, and then looked at me playing the same level as him on 360 and was all ".....dude....dafuq? My textures look shithouse!"

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Disease Mar 22 2012, 12:08am

lolno. It's probably just because he's close to the screen so he can see how crappy the detail really is.

My Livestream Channel

squattingb
Mar 22 2012, 1:35am

Achievements: 24

yeah, games looks great for me on PC

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Mar 22 2012, 2:18am

Achievements: 16

> not editing the ini files to make your game look better

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

squattingb
Mar 22 2012, 9:14am

Achievements: 24

i haven't touched any files but I heard of one setting that makes it easier to spot pick-up-ables. will probably get that going...

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Scar Mar 23 2012, 12:31am

Achievements: 12

I've never played these games, but I'm hearing and seeing a lot of people flip all the hell out about the ending lol. Is it as bad as I hear?

Disease Mar 23 2012, 1:41am

Just the last 10 minutes is bad. But everything else, entire ME 1, 2, and 98% of 3 is pure epicness.

My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Mar 23 2012, 5:56am

And even then, the ending isn't overly bad. It's just not exactly what most gamers wanted, and most people seemed to want a disgusting amount of closure. I don't remember anyone complaining about how bullshit the last hour of MW3 was. Or Halo: Reach.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trance Mar 23 2012, 7:55am

Achievements: 14

No, the ending is bad. It's bad enough to ruin the whole thing.

Earlier I wasn't too mad about getting my ending because I assumed I had just made some mistakes somewhere and there was a better ending I could get. I then looked up all the other outcomes on Youtube, and they're ALL THE SAME. There is no better ending. That's when the full weight of the suck hit me.

For somebody who invested their time and interest in the story of this series, the ending was supposed to be where all the decisions you've made throughout the entire run come together, and all the effort you put in to do as much good or evil as possible has a tangible effect on plot or gameplay.
(SPOILERS AHEAD, FOR THOSE WHO CARE.)
In ME1 a high enough Charm or Intimidate score (obtainable from Paragon or Renegade decisions throughout the game) meant you could skip half the final boss fight. In ME2 through a combination of correct decisions you could save your entire team at the Collector base, or through all the wrong decisions get them all (and, as a result, yourself) killed.

Sure it's simplistic, and Bioware could've probably come up with a better way to approach morality and difficult decisionmaking, but it's a decent system given the limitations of storage, memory and development time in video games. It's worth getting invested in for most people, myself included. And the whole reason you made any of those decisions was for the payoff at the end.

ME3's ending has none of that. It was supposed to be the culmination of everything you've done across all three games, and what it was instead was exactly the same outcome no matter what decisions you made beforehand. The decision which had the biggest effect on the ending was which path you chose right at the very end among the three offered, and that only changed the color of the deus ex machina explosion. (And speaking of Deus Ex, didn't they already do an ending like this?)

And even without the context of expectations the ending is awful. By its own merits, it's stupid and confusing. Given what we know about Mass Relays exploding from ME2's Arrival DLC, why isn't the destruction of the Mass Relay network annihilating basically all life in the galaxy? Why are the squadmates whom I was down on Earth with not 10 minutes ago suddenly on the Normandy with Joker trying to outrun the God explosion? What was Joker even doing running from the battle anyway, and what was the planet he crashed on? How the hell do you even begin to explain turning all life into organic-synthetic hybrids with a magical blast wave? Just absolutely WTF is going on?

Either the game's main writing staff all had fatal heart attacks prior to the ending being written in, or this was someone's idea of sticking it to the man in response to being fired.

So yes, the ending is overly bad. Halo: Reach and MW3 were linear stories with no branching, and nobody who played them expected any complex storyline that they could steer, so it's understandable why fewer people would consider their endings as important to the game as they do for Mass Effect. Mass Effect set up characters, did what it could to make you care about them, and gave you the power to decide their fate, so closure would be naturally expected. The ending not only didn't provide "a disgusting amount of closure", it didn't provide ANY closure. The only thing you can be reasonably sure on is that the Reapers are no longer a threat. Any other question, especially relating to the characters, the ending completely fails to answer.

You don't make a fan out of me easily, but Mass Effect managed to do it. After getting an ending like that, Bioware has lost me as a fan and customer for good. I had been slipping off ever since I heard of plot-relevant Day 1 DLC intentionally left out of the standard release so Bioware could make extra cash, but it took that ending to cinch it.

Disease Mar 23 2012, 12:13pm

While I agree with what you said, I think it's kind of ridiculous for people to expect their own unique ending for every single one of their own actions throughout the games, ME3 would have ended up being 25% gameplay of what it is and the rest would have been just a butt ton of endings. I still think this whole indoctrination theory is correct though >_>

Meanwhile, to brighten the mood

My Livestream Channel

Trance Mar 23 2012, 1:07pm

I never expected Bioware to make an ending for each little decision either, nor did I say that. But there's a vast gulf of middle-ground between that and the ending they opted for.

spartan117 Mar 23 2012, 2:14pm

Mac Walters, the lead writer, decided to handle the task of writing the ending all by himself.
He then sent it out and made it official without any peer review.

The other writers were naturally pissed at this stunt, but there's not much that can be done about it now.

Trance Mar 24 2012, 9:23am

The person who came up with the ending is the Lead Writer!? How did he ever get to that position if he puts out garbage like that?

EDIT: Interesting bit of inside information from someone else on Bioware's writing staff. Apparently the ending was the work of only two people, the lead writer and executive producer Casey Hudson.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/03/22/mass-effect-3-writer-distance-himself-from-game-ending-blames-casey-hudson/

I have nothing to do with the ending beyond a) having argued successfully a long time ago that we needed a chance to say goodbye to our squad, b) having argued successfully that Cortez shouldn’t automatically die in that shuttle crash, and c) having written Tali’s goodbye bit, as well as a couple of the holo-goodbyes for people I wrote (Mordin, Kasumi, Jack, etc).

No other writer did, either, except for our lead. This was entirely the work of our lead and Casey himself, sitting in a room and going through draft after draft.

Disease Mar 24 2012, 11:50am

I would have still liked if I could actually have seen Tali's face under the mask :/ It really shouldn't have took more than a few days to actually make it and do the lip sync.

Edit: Reading that entire article now. I thought it would be HELLA cool if that stuff with the Asari gunships and the Krogan army happened. Would have made the Earth mission more epic. Hell, maybe if they do that Indoctrination theory in the DLC, they can add all this stuff in to prolong the Earth mission.

My Livestream Channel

Reaper195 Mar 24 2012, 5:05pm

Which is depressing, because the lead writer for the first two games, as well as the author of all the ME books except...Deception? (The latest one by Dietz, who wrote The Flood) He was awesome. He also, solely if I remember right, wrote ME1 and a majority of ME2, with some help from the guy that did 3.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

spartan117 Mar 24 2012, 6:52pm

Reaper195 Mar 24 2012, 7:35pm

....I was about to say how that paragraph would work perfectly with the ending of ME3 if you were to change a few words...

Captain Retard, reporting for Duty, sir!

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

spartan117 Mar 25 2012, 3:22pm

~pro fleet battle~

Reaper195 Apr 27 2012, 7:43pm

So...fuck people that play ME3 online. I tried to join games seventeen times, and every single time I got kicked out. I looked it up online and turns out this happens to a lot of people who finally get around to the multiplayer bit of the game, and get put into a team with higher levelled players. Seriously....if you do this, I hope you get herpes and die.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List