You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Television   »   My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
spartan117 Aug 31 2011, 6:22am

Achievements: 16

My Little Pony

Friendship is Magic

INCOMING COPYPASTA

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is an animated television series that first premiered in 2010 on the United States cable network The Hub, and is based on Hasbro's My Little Pony line of toys and animated works. The series is produced by Hasbro Studios and Studio B Productions. Animator Lauren Faust served as the show's creative director for the inception of the retooled series and through the first season, later stepping down to become a creative consultant for the second season onwards. The show follows a studious unicorn pony named Twilight Sparkle as she is tasked by her mentor Princess Celestia to learn about friendship in the town of Ponyville. Twilight becomes close friends with five other ponies; Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. Each represents a different facet of friendship, and discover themselves to be key parts in the "Elements of Harmony." In the series, they can be seen sharing adventures and helping out other residents of Ponyville, as well as working out the kinks in their own friendships.

The show has been critically praised for its humor and moral outlook. Despite the target demographic of young girls, the show has gained a large following of predominantly male teenagers and adults, calling themselves "bronies". Reasons for this unusual appreciation include a combination of Faust's direction and characterization, the expressive Flash based animation style, themes older audiences can appreciate, and a reciprocal relationship between the creators and fans. Elements of the show have become part of the remix culture and have formed the basis for a variety of Internet memes.

This is the best cartoon on the face of the earth.

-------------------------------

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

Reaper195 Sep 1 2011, 7:05am

Achievements: 18

This shit completely went over my head. All I see is pretty colours and a kids cartoon. Maybe if it were more like Hellsing. Or good....

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

spartan117 Sep 1 2011, 8:14am

> 2011
> not liking ponies
> ishygddt

squattingb
Sep 3 2011, 1:07am

Achievements: 24

bronies.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

spartan117 Sep 3 2011, 11:44am

Does anypony else like this show? Or am I the only one.

Reaper195 Sep 3 2011, 8:31pm

From SB's incredibly detailed post, I assume he likes it as well.

Personally, I see it entirely as a kids show and have absolutely no interest, and fail to see how people can say it has 'a great story'....when the story is like every other kids show. Yeah, the animation is well done...but I'd rather not watch a kids (And girly....come on, there is no denying that it was NOT made entirely for girls) show. I'll take Dexter or Hellsing or Fringe or Supernatural or Deadwood or The Walking Dead or...well, you see my point. I have no problems with older people watching kids shows, but I get tired of people trying to justify it with mature reasoning.

It's like being gay. You just are and I have no problem with that. There's no reason to try and justify it like saying "I was dressed as a girl by my older sister when I was young." ....bad example...but you see my point (Well, you should anyway).

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

spartan117 Sep 4 2011, 8:17am

By this logic, The Powerpuff Girls was created with a 100% female audience in mind.

Obviously that was not the case. Similar case applies with MLP.

Trance Sep 4 2011, 2:18pm

Achievements: 14

(And girly....come on, there is no denying that it was NOT made entirely for girls)

Just wanted to clear this up -- if you meant to say the show was made entirely for girls, the "NOT" plus the "no denying" gives this sentence the opposite meaning.

But even if you did mean it the other way, that claim doesn't really have a leg to stand on considering MLP's near-omnipresence on the internet now, with a massive fanbase encompassing virtually every demographic.

You could describe some points in the show as "girly" or "kiddie", but those adjectives just don't fit it often enough to dismiss the whole thing on that basis.

squattingb
Sep 6 2011, 1:01am

Achievements: 24

I find the show surprisingly funny, in obviously unintentional ways... fairly certain that's what was attributed to the show becoming an internet meme. I wouldn't really take the show seriously or watch it for its intended entertainment value.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Geo Ghost Sep 9 2011, 10:13am

Achievements: 15

Right, I like this show.
I won't admit it to most people but here I'll happily say it here - I do like it.

Mainly because I love character and animation designs. Specially cartoons but also anime and fanart stuff. Always have been amazed by it.

MLP is something I think which is very well made and my hat comes off to the creators.
Ok, the audience is not us by any sense of the word but the fact it managed to attract people WELL outside the target market is incredible! There are VERY few shows that can do that on such a large scale. It's not an easy thing to do by any standpoint!

For a kids show, I'd say it's a great thing to be put on TV. It has values, morals, teaches kids about basic things in life and pushes the whole "Get along with people. Don't make enemies" idea. I think that's fantastic.
What's more, it's a very well made animation. Drawings and such mainly but also the stories are actually decent. most cartoons and kids shows I know of that exist are total brain-washing rubbish! Crap that is poorly drawn, scripted, serves no purpose and is just junk brain food that is made for ratings. Annoys me to see rubbish on TV. Really does!

The humour even makes me laugh too and as stated somewhere the humour is there for kids but also for parents or older siblings who will be watching it with them. That is really good as it also means that parents and such will be more enticed to sit down and watch shows with their children rather than 'leave them to it'. Also, responsible parents will monitor what their kids watch on TV and they should do! Something like this is more likely going to make them think "yes, I don't mind my child watching that at all!" That is no easy feat for any show.
Laura Faust and all the creators deserve so much credit for pulling that off I believe.

The number of fans the show has got is incredible. it's become (dare I say it) a 'colt' following? (haha see what I did there! Epic lawl!... /forever alone.)
Away from the puns though, the following really boggles my mind. I found it after watching Portal 2 videos then something called 'Pinkie Sphere' and I was very much like "what the christ?! Then saw the Team Fortress 2 parodies of "Meet the Rainbow Scout" and such things which I thought were hilarious. So after that I was curious what this was actually from but also because I immediately loved the design of Rainbow Dash! At first I thought it must be an older cartoon since stuff looks well designed and drawn but I was wrong. It was very recent! So curiosity ensued. Looked up on Dash's character, saw some clips, then a couple of episodes with her in (though at first I did think it was a guy..). All of a sudden, I've seen all the episodes on youtube. God knows how but I did!

Next thing I know, I'm spending hours on Deviant Art looking at fan art and stuff people have drawn (most of which incredibly impressive! Some of which... slightly disturbing = \)

For a show that was aimed at younger generations and leaning towards the female side more, I'm amazed that many people from loads of ages and both genders alike watch it and share their interests with it. Some people are going to look weirdly on that and judge and hey, I probably would have done the same if I wasn't into character design and animation stuff as anyone knows by now after I've had Silver The Hedgehog as my display picture for god knows how long!
Like Trance said, there are points in the show that are perhaps more girly or kiddie (hardly surprising) and not all of it will appeal to people. I tend to skip through any songs (HATE songs in films and shows!!!!) as well as the intro/ending track.

So yeah. That sums up what I think of it.
Like it, love it, hate it or 'meh not my thing' it. No one will judge. If they do, screw 'em. if someone can't appreciate someone else's work freely without getting agro then there's something (else) wrong in the world. Again.

Final note - Rainbow Dash is freaking epic.

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

Icarus Sep 14 2011, 1:38am

Achievements: 12

I hate to admit that this show has some of the cutest damn characters I've ever seen. It's one of those things that I want to hate, but can't.

Edit- Dammit. Why am I youtubing episodes. WHY?

Make yourself.

Reaper195 Sep 14 2011, 4:46am

*whips hand over head back and forth*

Bah, I just don't get it. Animation is cool and all, but it just misses me completely. I'll stick with my gratuitous violent shows instead.

Also, internet memes need to stop spreading further and further into the real world.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Zukan Sep 14 2011, 7:42am

Achievements: 13

*whips hand around groin area* yeah I don't get it either...

and what the heck is this hand going back and forth business anyway?

Geo Ghost Sep 14 2011, 11:40am

Achievements: 15

I hate to admit that this show has some of the cutest damn characters I've ever seen. It's one of those things that I want to hate, but can't.

Edit- Dammit. Why am I youtubing episodes. WHY?

If you ever find an answer for that, let me know and I'll do the same
I know exactly what you mean. It's crazy!

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

Reaper195 Sep 15 2011, 6:48am

*whips hand around groin area* yeah I don't get it either...

and what the heck is this hand going back and forth business anyway?

Might just be a NZ thing. Me and mates have always done that when we don't get something. It's as if something is going over our heads and usually there is a net to catch what ever it is, but some things just go through the net and we don't get it.....

I'm certain that should make sense.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

spartan117 Sep 24 2011, 9:27pm

your point ---->
my head ---- 0

Trance Sep 24 2011, 9:46pm

Final scene of today's episode ripped off Star Wars. I chuckled.

Zukan Sep 25 2011, 4:31am

Achievements: 13

YOU TOO?? Oh no. what is happening.

Trance Sep 25 2011, 7:41am

Starved for quality entertainment, I guess.

spartan117 Sep 25 2011, 10:47pm

Silence the discord.

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
WaitingForASuperman (26)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List