You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Off Topic   »   Religion
Reaper195 Aug 29 2011, 3:30am

Achievements: 18

Somewhat similar to Spartan. Although I did go to a catholic high school, simply because Boys High (All boys school) was the only other option, and to hell with going to that cesspit. Religion never really had anything going for me. One of my flatmates is a Christian, the other an outright atheist. Although unlike Spartan, I didn't declare that God may or may not exist.
I simply don't care.

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Aglor Sep 19 2011, 2:44am

Achievements: 20

I received a PM from Trance a day or so ago asking about how my atheism came about. As I have never had any problem with sharing my story (even though I find it quite uninteresting) I have decided to post it here as he requested. Any questions are more than welcome.

I was sixteen (possibly just seventeen) and it was my junior year of high school. I had been a Christian of one sort or another my entire life and was quite happy with that. I enjoyed the concept of there being a deity that loved me and cared for me. As time went on I picked up on basic sorts of things like evolution, and I would attempt to mold my beliefs around it. Of course God used evolution to create us. Of course the billions of years the earth took to form was a mere six days to God. After all, we don't know how time works for a divine being. It worked, for a while.

Ultimately, I decided to sit down and read the Bible, cover to cover. Early on, the second page or so, there's mention of giants. Not like dinosaurs, either. We're talking giant people walking around, the types that did not exist, and, for various reasons, could not exist. I remember openly making fun of it in front of my friends and family. Perhaps it was then that I started to realize just how silly it all was. One day, as I sat at my computer working on a paper, it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't really believe in any of it anymore.

Admitting that to myself was one of the greatest things to happen to me. And I've never slept better since that night.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Reaper195 Sep 19 2011, 2:57am

Achievements: 18

Somewhat unrelated, but that bit about giants reminded me of a joke a mate told me ages ago. "Jesus promised to take away all the wicked people. Odin promised to destroy all the ice giants. I don't see any ice giants."

Interesting story, Ag. A lot of atheists I've met went on about how something happened to them, God did nothing, and it went from there.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

squattingb
Sep 19 2011, 7:34pm

Achievements: 24

That's really interesting, thanks for sharing your story! I'm glad it was through self discovery

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List