You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Television   »   The new Doctor
Scyyth Apr 5 2010, 8:46am

Achievements: 0

Just finished watching the first episode of the new season, so I was wondering if anyone else here watched Doctor Who, and what they thought of Matt Smith as the Doctor?

-------------------------------
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat..."

Reaper195 Apr 9 2010, 9:49pm

Achievements: 18

One of the best episodes ever of the new series. I'm not sure how I feel about the new opening, but it's nice for somthing new. Scottish chick is awesome. New Doctor is amazing. "WHO DA MAN!?
<<
Nope, never saying that again..."

Watching the 'Coming Soon' thinger at the end, I'm not sure about having those statues that move when you don't look at them come back...and I'm pretty certain Season 4 ended with the complete genocide of the Daleks....but still, Doctor Who is one of the few shows that manages to pull complete nonsense of its butt, and still make it awesome.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Reaper195 Apr 11 2010, 2:30pm

New Doctor is awesome. He's alike a cross between the Tenth and some weirdo that eats fish fingers and custard. I've never seen matt Smith in anything else, so I can't say much about his acting, but so far it seems great. New TARDIS looks shiny, although I'm not sure on A: The green sonic screwdriver, and B: Those statues that move when no one is looking at them coming back during that 'coming soon' montage at the end.

Also...wtf does Silence Will Fall mean? Is the Doctor deaf in will soon be cured? Will the silence in space be replaced by heavy metal?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Scyyth Apr 11 2010, 11:08pm

I totally agree with you about the Daleks. I wish they would let it go at least one season without bringing them back.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat..."

Reaper195 Apr 12 2010, 1:04am

I'm almost certain they went an entire doctor or two that had nothing to do with the daleks...but I'm not entirely sure...

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Geo Ghost Apr 12 2010, 8:52am

Achievements: 15

Being a fan of the classic Dr Who and hating Russel TD immensely... this is what I think.
For the record I wasn't going to watch the new one at all but someone convinced me to. I skipped through the episode party out of boredom and sheer embarrassment of what the show has become.

So here's my low-down on it.
New Doctor - Hate him. Looks like a tool and is copying Tennents style to much. To me, he does not fit the part of a doctor at all.
New Tardis - A step closer to the classic Tardis style so I'll give them credit for that.
1st Episode story - As per usual, Earth at risk, Doctor saves Earth all is good. How many times have we seen that... dry.gif
Departure of the Russel T Davies - GOOD RIDDENCE! The only episodes I truly liked all the way through were written by Moffat (Such as Empty Child, Silence in the Library etc)
Overall Opinion - Don't like it. We have a good writer now but, in my opinion, a horrible actor to play the Doctor and a rather flimsy show. It's becoming more and more like a kids show instead of the classic sci-fi, creepy, eerie kind of show. So much so that I'm now not bothering with Doctor Who as the BBC have pretty much killed what it used to be about and such.

You can argue what I mentioned all you like but it will not change how I think about the new show in the slightest wink.gif

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

The Muffin King Apr 13 2010, 5:34pm

Achievements: 12

Haven't been able to catch the latest episodes and I kind of missed the last movie too sad.gif Any sites streaming it?

Signatures are for chumps

Reaper195 Apr 14 2010, 2:30am

<--quoteo(post=266947:date=Apr 12 2010, 07:52 AM:name=Geo Ghost)-->
QUOTE (Geo Ghost @ Apr 12 2010, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->New Doctor - Hate him. Looks like a tool and is copying Tennents style to much. To me, he does not fit the part of a doctor at all.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm half and half over this. True, new guy is trying to be like Tennent, but wasn't he just being Eccelston (SP?) only with less of the hardassness?

<--quoteo(post=266947:date=Apr 12 2010, 07:52 AM:name=Geo Ghost)-->
QUOTE (Geo Ghost @ Apr 12 2010, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->1st Episode story - As per usual, Earth at risk, Doctor saves Earth all is good. How many times have we seen<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

This I agree with. But then again, Earth has been at risk since Doctor Who started, so it's more of what keeps the series as it once was, even though it has changed considerably, I.E. How many times have the Daleks been defeated?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Scyyth Apr 16 2010, 7:13pm

<--quoteo(post=266998:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:30 AM:name=Reaper195)-->
QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Apr 14 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->This I agree with. But then again, Earth has been at risk since Doctor Who started, so it's more of what keeps the series as it once was, even though it has changed considerably, I.E. How many times have the Daleks been defeated?<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder if the writers will ever decide to just totally and permanantly destroy the Daleks, and never have them come back?

Reaper195 Apr 17 2010, 1:41am

I wouldn't say never come back, but more leave them out for a while. They are one of the most iconic things about the series. It's just that I'm getting tired of them trying to destroy the universe and all existence ALL THE TIME! And considering that the ninth Doctor (Favourite! said that both the Daleks and the Time Lords were destroyed in the Time War, which is locked (Whatever that means), how do they keep coming back anyway?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Spazbro May 13 2010, 6:18pm

Achievements: 9

Having watched Eps 1, 2, 3 and sadly skipping 4 due to lack of sleep, I can safely say that Smith is doing a brilliant job. Sure, there are bits of Tennant that show through Smith, but that's because The Doctor, even though he's regenerated 10 times and tends to have a regen lapse of his personality, keeps all the good emotions and quirks that he had in the past to become a better person.

Scyyth, you KNOW that the Daleks will always be around. If The Doctor lives, so do they.

Reaps, remember that Amy has no knowledge of The Daleks (which she should have thanks to the events surrounding Davros and The Cruciform). There's the off-chance that The Daleks have not been created in the timeline yet.

"There is no such thing as a real truth. Just lies, the people who say them and the guns they fire."

Damn you bastards and you're Eastern Hemisphere!

666 posts! Date: Friday 11th of June. Time: 10:08 PM.

Reaper195 Jun 20 2010, 3:11am

So....the new doctor finished for this year. And now I'm pissed off. First doctor to end on a cliff hanger since....sometime during the seventies, probably...

But it was still friggin' awesome!

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

deathman1000 Jun 23 2010, 10:54pm

Anyone seen the altest episode? The pandorica opens, I'm in ireland and I'm therefore ahead, but I was hoping to talk to someone about it

Reaper195 Jun 24 2010, 12:13am

<--quoteo(post=268832:date=Jun 23 2010, 08:54 PM:name=deathman1000)-->
QUOTE (deathman1000 @ Jun 23 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Anyone seen the altest episode? The pandorica opens, I'm in ireland and I'm therefore ahead, but I was hoping to talk to someone about it<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

<--quoteo(post=268783:date=Jun 20 2010, 01:11 AM:name=Reaper195)-->
QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Jun 20 2010, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->So....the new doctor finished for this year. And now I'm pissed off. First doctor to end on a cliff hanger since....sometime during the seventies, probably...

But it was still friggin' awesome!<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, what does being in Ireland have to do with anything? We get it Sunday in NZ...which is about nine hours after it shows in UK.

Still...it was an awesome ending.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

deathman1000 Jun 24 2010, 11:24am

Well people in america wouldn't have got it yet maybe? Anyways yes it was an awesome episode and it completely threw me off when the pandorica actually opened I wasn't expecting it to be what it was

Reaper195 Jun 24 2010, 4:53pm

I was hoping it was going to be The Doctor in it....somehow...what with time travel, and all. That would have been pretty metal. But the last few seconds confused me. The TARDIS exploded, as did every single star in the universe (Background for christ knows how long now)...which means the universe ended?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

deathman1000 Jun 24 2010, 8:31pm

Yes but, I think the premise behind the pandorica, is that the doctor is in it, in every point in time. Except the one they were in as that was a bubble created by amy's mind. So I'm thinking at some point in the future or past the doctor manages to escape. Although I don't get why River song the idiot would have to go and blow up a time machine, especially when the doctor has been telling her for like the entire episode, that that would be a BAD thing

Reaper195 Jun 25 2010, 8:22pm

She didn't blow it up. She went to do something, and the TARDIS started freaking out and then asploded because it stopped in some kind of....wall of concrete museum.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Geo Ghost Aug 2 2010, 9:59am

Achievements: 15

<--quoteo(post=268783:date=Jun 20 2010, 08:11 AM:name=Reaper195)-->
QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Jun 20 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->So....the new doctor finished for this year. And now I'm pissed off. First doctor to end on a cliff hanger since....sometime during the seventies, probably...

But it was still friggin' awesome!<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Cliff hanger? pff. Hardly tongue.gif
You want a true cliff-hanger, watch the end of the Italian Job (original) or the end of most 24 series' laugh.gif

Someone convinced me to watch the last two episodes a month or 2 back so I reluctantly did.
The storyline... interesting. I will give them credit for that (almost). Except if our sun went super-nova and exploded then Earth would be wiped out in the process anyway (like in new-series 1, episode 2 was it? End of the World).

The doctor... I still stand by my previous comments. I still think he's a complete douche and does not fit the part of a Doctor and should have regenerated when he got shot by the Dalek. That would have been interesting twist in the story. But alas, I will have to keep hoping. The last two did not convert me. I still refuse to watch anymore Dr Who till Smith is replaced by someone decent.

Alan Davies for the new doctor! wink.gif

On a final note... what the hell is it with doctor who and bloody weddings!!! dry.gif

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

UrbanLT Aug 2 2010, 11:33pm

<--quoteo(post=269936:date=Aug 2 2010, 09:59 AM:name=Geo Ghost)-->
QUOTE (Geo Ghost @ Aug 2 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->On a final note... what the hell is it with doctor who and bloody weddings!!! dry.gif<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Because he always has something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. And it's all the same thing. And it's bigger on the inside.

PFC Alex Urban
115th MP Battalion HHC
US Army Maryland National Guard
---------------------------------------------
America Ever After -- A writing project I am working on that could become a novel when I finish. Click to read the first few chapters on facebook.
-------------------------------------------
Guinness world Record for longest rank:

First Command Master Gunnery Staff Sergeant Major First Class of the Army (1CMGSSMFCOTA) Pay Grade E-18

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Cpt McMuffin (29), EL STEVIEO (25)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List