You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Television   »   Air Crash Investigation
Geo Ghost Feb 17 2010, 6:51pm

Achievements: 15

Well I'm a fan of watching ACI due to my love and obsession to Aviation, Aircraft and Airlines/Airliners.
Not to say I like the crashes and such but I find it interesting to find out what caused such and how things are prevented. Also I get an insight into how aircraft operate and such.

So, does anyone else watch it? And if so, has anyone beaten my record of watching 3 episodes in a row the night before flying.. and not had it affect them wink.gif - Yup I'm serious. Doesn't make me fearful of flying at all.

-------------------------------
Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

Reaper195 Feb 17 2010, 8:33pm

Achievements: 18

(I once watched a documentory on 9/11 while on a plane, does that count?)

I've seen it a few times, only because I hardly watch actual TV. It is quite an interesting show. I've never had much of a fascination with planes and flying (Even though I wish I could fly), but the times I've seen it, it's always piqued my interest.

Edit: Also, somewhat irrelevant, but you said you like planes. Ever seen Flight Of The Phoenix, or read the book? Just wondering how close they got to actually being able to make another plane out of a broken one.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

grunty_thirst Feb 18 2010, 10:12am

<--quoteo(post=265499:date=Feb 18 2010, 10:51 AM:name=Geo Ghost)-->
QUOTE (Geo Ghost @ Feb 18 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Well I'm a fan of watching ACI due to my love and obsession to Aviation, Aircraft and Airlines/Airliners.
Not to say I like the crashes and such but I find it interesting to find out what caused such and how things are prevented. Also I get an insight into how aircraft operate and such.

So, does anyone else watch it? And if so, has anyone beaten my record of watching 3 episodes in a row the night before flying.. and not had it affect them wink.gif - Yup I'm serious. Doesn't make me fearful of flying at all.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
I LOVE this show!

But yeah, not the actual crashes and so forth...but it is quite fascinating to see how crash sites are analysed to find the cause of the crash...some cases are quite baffling...mainly because they seem like such fundamental errors- most of which seem due to the incompetence of the airliner or the airport itself.

Heh, and I haven't flown anywhere since I got back from Rome in '06, but the shows don't bother me...most those crashes seem subsequent results of more inept practices in poorer countries. :/

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Reaper195 Feb 18 2010, 4:57pm

Achievements: 18

I remember seeing an episode where a plane crashed because...I think it was a fuel pipe, or something in one of the wings ruptured. And it was amazing to see how they were able to find out. You think when a plane crashes, next to all evidence of what happened would be destroyed in the subsequent crash.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

grunty_thirst Feb 21 2010, 10:07am

One of the more bizarre ones I remember was a crash/emergency caused by a small patch of duct-tape covering some valve in the side of the plane. One of the passengers noticed it when they were boarding but didn't say anything to the crew, and who'd of thunk it- that's what caused the problem! Think the duct-tape was put on to cover the valve during maintenance/cleaning or something, and the worker(s) forgot to take it off when they had finished.

Many other intriguing cases, but can't quite think of em all now.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Geo Ghost Feb 21 2010, 10:18am

Oh yes I remember one of those. Can't remmber which
Either the pitot tube cover or Static Ports.

Air flows through a pitot tube when in flight to measure the airspeed. Covers are put over them when in maintenance/storage to avoid them getting blocked.
But if the cover is left on or the tube is blocked, the tube ends up giving false results due to the change in pressure and not the movement of air.

As for Static Ports.. not totally sure how they work other than measuring the pressure around an aircraft tongue.gif

Pretty amazing how such small things have a major effect.

One of the most interesting ones I watched was either the Gimley Glider where an Air-Canada flight ran out of fuel in flight and managed to land at an old air field or the BA flight that unknowingly flew through volcanic smoke at night and it knocked out all 4 engines.

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List