You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Video Games   »   Halo   »   Halo Evolutions: Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
Reaper195 Jan 9 2010, 7:49pm

Achievements: 18

Well, this was released apparently quite a while ago in NZ. I'm considering getting it, since it's cheaper than I thought it would be (Was also gonna get a cheap copy of the encyclopaedia, but they only have the hard cover edition, which is an extra thirty bucks!), but I'm not really sure on it. Eric Nylund was my favourite of the Halo writers, and he's only got one...or two (I forget) stories out of a dozen or so.

So I was wondering if anyone had gotten it yet, read and, and what they thought about it?

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Aglor Jan 9 2010, 8:02pm

Achievements: 20

I don't have it myself, but I have heard only good things about it. I'll definitely be picking it up next time I have some spare cash laying around (why, oh, why am I without moniez?).

I'd say pick up a copy.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

squattingb
Jan 10 2010, 2:14am

Achievements: 24

I read it the day it came in from Chapters.ca (pre-ordered), I tell you... it is an AMAZING collection of stories. "The Mona Lisa" is by far my fav and a fav of most people who've read the book, it's really engaging and striking. Most of the stories are also of excellent quality, a bit of a relief from the dry stories of Cole Protocol and Contact Harvest... it's worth the money smile.gif

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Reaper195 Jan 10 2010, 3:26am

<--quoteo(post=264380:date=Jan 10 2010, 02:14 AM:name=sbear)-->
QUOTE (sbear @ Jan 10 2010, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->and Contact Harvest...<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought CH was pretty good and had a great story....as long as you considered it a book by itself.

Will get it when I order MAss Effect 2 (Same site).

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

helljumper99 Jan 12 2010, 8:15am

Achievements: 10

Headhunters is a terrible story.

QUOTE(squattingb @ Nov 7 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]205870[/snapback]

I think it's pretty clear that I never take my own advice.

"Zero to asshole in 4 posts? Impressive." -Trance
"But its like a million million years old and the hamster that keeps it going is suffering from a heart attack..." -JoeIce
"I have a special relationship with someone. But it appears like I'm the only one who can see her, and sometimes she convince me to do very bad things..." -Zukan
QUOTE(Psalm 144)
"Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me."

squattingb
Jan 12 2010, 8:35am

i thought it was pretty neat

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

squattingb
Jan 12 2010, 8:13pm

btw also, Palace Hotel is a pretty awesome piece of work.

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Reaper195 Jan 12 2010, 10:43pm

Dammit, Mass Effect 2, come out faster! I want free shipping with that book, dammit!

Considered looking up a PDF online somewhere, but then realised I've still got plenty to read until it gets here with ME2.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Spartan 501 Jan 15 2010, 12:20am

Achievements: 9

I didn't much care for Headhunters, but palace hotel was alright. My favs had to be the Nylund story (of course), Blunt Instruments, and the Mona Lisa. I read Mona Lisa at about 3 at night and I swear it's the first time I've been scared shitless by a sci-fi book. The Traviss story was a bit of a disapointment, because, while good, it didn't seem up to snuff with her Gears of RC books. She seems to be the kind of author who needs a longer story to get the pacing just right; short stories might not be her best work. Still good, but not as good as I'd hoped for (though I am still hoping for a full length Traviss halo novel, which would be...would be crazy awesome.)

Happiness is a deceptive state of mind

--Me, unknown age

Kickass fact of the day. During Operation Desert Storm, US tank commanders attached loudspeakers to their vehicles and blared heavy metal music to frighten the enemy.

Reaper195 Jan 15 2010, 3:31am

Have yet to get the Gears novels. Tried to get them with my Mass Effect and Metal Gear Solid ones, but they were out of stock at the time. So was The Darkness novel, which from what I've heard, is f**king fantastic.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Aglor Jan 15 2010, 7:46pm

I want to see a Bioshock novel. Written in first person from Jack's view.

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Reaper195 Jan 15 2010, 9:50pm

PLay Bioshock. That's exactly what you would get.

Unless it were from before Rapture fell, or during it's fall, or from the perspective from a group of other people in an entirely different section of the city, it would either suck, or be extremely boring. The only reason the second Halo book worked was not only did it go from other peoples perspectives, but Chief also had Cortana with him, or other marines. Or was in sections where in the game, the player (Reader) was supposed to feel alone, like the section before the library. Basically, a Bioshock book from the main characters perspective (When the hell was he called Jack? I don't even remember him speaking) wouldn't work. Or work well.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Aglor Jan 15 2010, 10:46pm

The package he's holding on the plane at the beginning says: "Dear Jack."

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

-Albert Einstein

-Marcus Brigstocke

-Author Unknown

Reaper195 Jan 15 2010, 11:37pm

....I thought that was for someone else. I don't remember him opening it. IN fact, didn't he say something about 'something my father said' just before the plane drowneded.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Aglor Jan 15 2010, 11:42pm

Did you ever finish the game? In a flashback when you meet Ryan it shows Jack opening the box and pulling out a gun. You know, then he hijacked the plane and crashed it next to the lighthouse.

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

-Albert Einstein

-Marcus Brigstocke

-Author Unknown

Reaper195 Jan 16 2010, 5:43am

I actually had to look that up. I don't remember much from Bioshock. I stopped paying attention to the story about a quarter way through when I was still doing fetch quests to save some stupidass plants. Kind of glad I never plan on playing it again. I might rent out Bioshock 2 though for the hell of it.

Back on topic, ordered book to come in same time as Mass Effect 2, as well as a couple of other books. Can't wait.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Spartan 501 Jan 17 2010, 8:29pm

Achievements: 9

I'd recomend the Gears novels. They manage to take the super bland characters from the game and make them incredibly compelling; traviss is great at that. The books are excellent.

Happiness is a deceptive state of mind

--Me, unknown age

Kickass fact of the day. During Operation Desert Storm, US tank commanders attached loudspeakers to their vehicles and blared heavy metal music to frighten the enemy.

Reaper195 Feb 20 2010, 8:33pm

Well, I finished this about two weeks ago and forgot about this thread. The Mona Lisa scared me, first time a book has that isn't Stephen King. Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian and Dirt were both excellently written and are both definitely my favourites, second to Mona Lisa. Headhunters and Palace Hotel felt like they were written by Halo fans more than actual writers. Human Weakness was...interesting. I've read it about a dozen times and I'm still not sure about it. Karen Traviss is a great writer, yet I'm still not sure how I visualize that story. Nylunds' one was also interesting. As usual, he deals with space ships more than any other, yet most of that one was either e-mails/news reports, or 'novelisations' of video footage. The only other one that stood out to me was Blunt Instruments. A twist near the end that I really wasn't expecting, and the actual story was great. The only problem, like with Headhunters and Palace Hotel (Only that those stories weren't that great as well as the writing), it felt like it was written by a Halo fan more than a writer. But I still liked it.

Pariah, Stomping on the Heels of a Fuss, The Return and the random poetry (Halo Poems, wtf?) didn't really stand out or engage me. They felt like space fillers more than anything to me, although I wouldn't mind reading some other work by B.K. Evenson (Father Of Lies sounds amazing).

<--quoteo(post=264544:date=Jan 17 2010, 07:29 PM:name=Spartan 501)-->
QUOTE (Spartan 501 @ Jan 17 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I'd recomend the Gears novels. They manage to take the super bland characters from the game and make them incredibly compelling; traviss is great at that. The books are excellent.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Finished second one the other day, Can't get a copy of the first yet. And agreed. Books make the characters so much cooler (I nwish Bernie was in Gears 2).

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,777 posts across 6,596 threads
in the 12 years, 9 months, and 14 days since our first post.
We have 3,504 registered members.
The newest member is Kindlad1983.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List