You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Television   »   FlashForward
Reaper195 Oct 8 2009, 4:12pm

Achievements: 18

FlashForward was an awesome sci-fi thriller book back in 99. I remember reading it a few years ago in the school library (A book like that in a catholic school? I was shocked and stunned! and loving it. The Large Hadron Collider (SP?) is turned on and everyone on the planet is knocked out for two minutes and seventeen seconds. All recording devices show nothing but static and white noise, which is interpreted as proof of the observer effect in quantum theory. Which basically means that when no one is observing something, it doesn't exist. The book was very awesome and very sciency taking place mainly in Switzerland, or wherever the LHC is. And it was great reading about the effects of two minutes of unconsciousness. Millions of cars colliding, planes crashing surfers drowning in waves and so forth. During the world wide black out, everyone has flashes to twenty something years in the future. Many people kill themselves because they see what they don't want to. It's also very thematic, dealing with suicides, the concept of suicide changing the future, free will and so on.

Sounds pretty awesome, right? Well, you can imagine my reaction when I heard that it was being made into a TV show. I was pretty excited, hoping it would be exactly like the book, be a miniseries and kick ass. What I got was a crappy TV series. The Flash Forwards are only 6 months in the future, and six months doesn't have the whole 'My future is fail!' as twenty years. It takes place in LA, a city which probably should have destroyed the world a long, long time ago, the black out isn't explained. It is just a conspiracy with no science behind it, and instead of seeing the entire world crash and explode for two minutes, we only see a few really detailed, but still few, broken places in LA. So far, the show has decided to show itself as a mystery plot show...kind of like Lost. There is absolutely no science, and just about all the characters are so annoying, it made me cry.

Anyone else watched this, or liked it?

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Spartan 501 Oct 16 2009, 12:46am

Achievements: 9

I'm enjoying it. Mainly because of the presence of John Cho. Harold and Kumar for the win.

Happiness is a deceptive state of mind

--Me, unknown age

Kickass fact of the day. During Operation Desert Storm, US tank commanders attached loudspeakers to their vehicles and blared heavy metal music to frighten the enemy.

Reaper195 Oct 18 2009, 4:05am

Usual comedy actors are always better at drama roles than usual actors. Like Jack Black, and Jim Carrey

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Spartan 501 Oct 18 2009, 8:54pm

A sad truth....

--Me, unknown age

Kickass fact of the day. During Operation Desert Storm, US tank commanders attached loudspeakers to their vehicles and blared heavy metal music to frighten the enemy.

harpar Oct 23 2009, 4:39pm

Achievements: 11

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree, I never read the book, so that might be a reason We have different opinions. I really enjoyed this show, The mystery of it has Me hooked, I'm watching every episode as it comes out on HULU. I think it's kind of reminiscent of a Tarintino film, with all of the jumping around in the storyline. I am definitively going to watch all of the episodes.

"I don't Trust anything that bleeds for a few days and doesn't die."
-Mr Garrison

Reaper195 Oct 23 2009, 5:53pm

mellow.gif

.....me too.

Even though I find it annoying how unlike the book it is, I'm still watching the hell out of it. I need to find out about them crows.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

harpar Oct 23 2009, 6:15pm

I missed this last weeks episode, hopefully it will end up on Hulu soon.

-Mr Garrison

Reaper195 Oct 23 2009, 9:25pm

Torrent it. Well seeded copies are online an hour after it finishes on TV.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

harpar Oct 24 2009, 12:37am

I'm trying to go more legally lately. Just to stay off the radar of the MPAA and such.

-Mr Garrison

Reaper195 Oct 24 2009, 3:05pm

Well, as far as I can tell, it's free to air, as in, you don't pay for the channel it's on, so downloading it off the net isn't really stealing it....since it's free. Or at least that's how I'm led to believe it works in the US.

And the MPAA only really get involved when you download their movies, burn them and sell them. Downloading them for your own personal watch once or twice is illegal, but it's like being caught with a single joint in your wallet. Unless the cop is incredibly vindictive, or nothing more important is happening, he'll just take the joint and say "Don't do drugs. Always blow on the pie. Safer communities together."

<<

NZ cops rock.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

harpar Oct 26 2009, 12:24am

dude, He's right! always blow on the pie!

-Mr Garrison

Reaper195 Nov 7 2009, 4:12pm

Just watched new episode. It took them seven episodes to finally show something that challenges the flashforwards? UGH! And still no science! I'm giving this show one more episode before I stop watching it. It was only out of respect for the book that I watched it in the first place knowing there wasn't much (But not none...pff) science. The characters are pretty average, acting is what you get from just about any TV series, and the guy from Harold/Kuma is the only one who seems interesting.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Spartan 501 Nov 9 2009, 1:32am

I'm enjoying it quite a bit still actually. Though I agree John Cho (sp?) is the best actor on the show. Oh, and I just watch it on tv. Or DVR, more accurately.

--Me, unknown age

Reaper195 Dec 17 2009, 4:01pm

So...has Flash Forward decided to tell us what it was and how it occured? Or are they still caught up in "OMG! I COULD BE DEAD!" "OMG! I'M DRINKING!" "OMG! I'M A DYKE AND PREGNANT!" "OMG! AFFAIR!" "OMG!.......NO SCIENCE IN THE FUTURE!" bollocks since the first episode?

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
scar415 (29), Zofinda (29)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List