You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Movies   »   Writing Screenplays
Trumpetman09
Aug 12 2009, 5:41pm

Achievements: 25

I just realized that the Movies Category is without a Screenplay writing topic...so I created one.

Anyways, I find myself in the middle of writing an outline for a screenplay and I am really loving it. I use Microsoft Works to write the outline, but I use Celtx to write the actual script. I know that scripts in "The Big Business", AKA Hollywood, use around 120 pages for their movies and I will probably match that many pages with this screenplay.

So it got me wondering, how many other people take a few hours out of every day/when they can, to write a screenplay?

-------------------------------
Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Reaper195 Aug 12 2009, 7:10pm

Achievements: 18

I prefer books/short stories than screenplays, but I have written a few scripts back at school when I was in drama. Only reason I wouldn't consider even going into it is because Hollywood only seem to take scripts that are adaptations of something. And even then, they take the ones that absolutely butcher the original. They also get paid completely and utterly f**k all. Like a few hundred bucks for a script that earns hundreds of millions.

It's like if you made a technology that allowed cars to fly. It was bought off you by the Government for a few thousand, while they rake in the billions. However if that were to happen, I'd actually make the information and technology free, so no one can profit from it.

But getting somewhat back on topic, I have entertained the idea lately of writing one...maybe one based off one of my books In wrote years ago. Although it would be more than 120 pages. In fact, unless the movie were four and a quarter hours long, I wouldn't let it be made.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

spartan117 Aug 12 2009, 7:28pm

Achievements: 16

Sometimes I do, but I usually end up scrapping it because the idea is too idiotic.

"Spartan117 explores his sexuality via an internet forum." - Nick
"Spartan117, boldly going where no one else really wants to go." - Trance

Reaper195 Aug 12 2009, 7:33pm

Idiotic doesn't mean bad. Idiocracy was about that in the future, the world would be overrun with idiots, not geniuses. And it had a kick boxing winner (25X) as President. And an energy drink used as water...even for plants. Because it has electrolytes in it. It's what plants crave. Plants crave electrolytes.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trumpetman09
Aug 12 2009, 7:49pm

I couldn't watch that movie for more than 5 minutes...oh well...

Well for me, if someone in Hollywood wanted to buy my script, my main points would be:

1. sell the script
2.be a writer for the film

-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this

Aglor Aug 12 2009, 8:45pm

Achievements: 20

I've written a few things, and when I really want to write something, I'll take a few hours every day to write, and often rewrite.

Personally, though, I'm looking to go into directing or producing films rather than writing them.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Trumpetman09
Aug 12 2009, 9:09pm

Right, I am looking into writing/directing myself, producing maybe later down the line...

What other programs are out there for script writing?

-The Norm Meme

spartan117 Aug 12 2009, 10:53pm

<--quoteo(post=257394:date=Aug 12 2009, 08:09 PM:name=Trumpetman)-->
QUOTE (Trumpetman @ Aug 12 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Right, I am looking into writing/directing myself, producing maybe later down the line...

What other programs are out there for script writing?<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

There's FinalDraft. I myself use that, and just use MS Works Word Processor as a scratchpad of sorts.

Reaper195 Aug 13 2009, 12:14am

Wait, there are actual, specific programs for scriptwriting? I just use Micro$oft Word....worked for me all these years.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trumpetman09
Aug 13 2009, 12:25am

Oh yeah, free software like Celtx or not-so-free software like Final Draft.

-The Norm Meme

Aglor Aug 13 2009, 1:11am

Mostly because there's a specific format for scripts, and the programs just make it simpler.

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Trumpetman09
Aug 13 2009, 2:03am

Right, because getting the formatting down for dialogue...just takes too long, so having a program that does it all for you is like perfect. I used to use Microsoft Works, but now I use celtx anytime I write.

-The Norm Meme

AOR3LARRY Aug 14 2009, 11:47pm

Achievements: 2

I used MS Word to create two 120 page scripts for my script writing class in high school. I managed to complete each script in around 24 hours, of which 2-3 hours were prep time outlining the three act structure, beats, characters, then two 10-hour writing sessions separated by a one hour break. It was hell but it was awesome.

Now that I have final draft script writing is so ridiculously easy, I don't have to keep entering TAB to get the spacing right to have my character's name i.e. FRANCIS MC CALLAHAN, in fact Final Draft stores the names so I wouldn't have to re type it out.

CURRENT PROJECTS:
"The Last Titan" - Director/Creator
"Heresy" - Heretic Remake - CGI Lead
Heresy CGI Demo

"You're all gonna die in a stupid war." - Abe Simpson

"Everything burns." - The Joker

"I want to ride on a choo-choo train, I want to ride all across the USA!" - Josh Groban, Josh Grobahnn, Josh Grubman, interpreting the works of Casey Tatum.

"Keep your healthy stuff in your real stomach and eat the junk in your fake one! For your health!" - Dr. Steve Brule

"Do you know when you look at a planet and see that light, that planet's not even there, that's just a light, that's just your neighboor shining a flashlight right into your yard, looking for racoons. And he says what are you doing in my backyard with that flashlight. And I told him I'm shining, I'm shining in it your window so I can teach your son about the universe. He said get out of my yard and why are you communicating to my son?! Why are you in all black, behind my bushes and shining a light into my house? And I said I'm teaching your son about the universe, I'm shining the light, I'm shining the light right in there and exploring his room as he's looking out and exploring the universe. I turn the light off and I see your son go to bed and I turn the sh light back on, and I do swirls on his wall like a comet's tail. I do this every night with your son." - Dr. Jimes Tooper

"Poor old Rolo Tony, workin' on the factory floor. Makin' chocolate Rolos for the kids to buy in the store. And when he's gotten through the day, the children gather round and say. 'Rolo Tony Brown Town check yourself right at the door. Give us all some Rolos you know you've gotta give us some more of those Rolos" - Rolo Tony Brown Town by Tim and Eric

"Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun, or exciting, you make it... not that way. I hate... so much about the things that you choose to be." - Michael Scott

spartan117 Aug 15 2009, 11:32am

<--quoteo(post=257524:date=Aug 14 2009, 10:47 PM:name=AOR3LARRY)-->
QUOTE (AOR3LARRY @ Aug 14 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I used MS Word to create two 120 page scripts for my script writing class in high school. I managed to complete each script in around 24 hours, of which 2-3 hours were prep time outlining the three act structure, beats, characters, then two 10-hour writing sessions separated by a one hour break. It was hell but it was awesome.

Now that I have final draft script writing is so ridiculously easy, I don't have to keep entering TAB to get the spacing right to have my character's name i.e. FRANCIS MC CALLAHAN, in fact Final Draft stores the names so I wouldn't have to re type it out.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. And that is why I wub it.

Trumpetman09
Aug 15 2009, 11:44am

Yeah...I am too cheap to get Final Draft...haha.

-The Norm Meme

Aglor Aug 19 2009, 6:29pm

No need to when the free stuff works!

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

-Albert Einstein

-Marcus Brigstocke

-Author Unknown

Trumpetman09
Jul 4 2012, 2:16pm

Yeah...I am too cheap to get Final Draft...haha.

Oh man, this was in 2009? Wow, yeah I was cheap back then....maybe even a bit better at saving money, but I eventually did buy Final Draft. It's a bit better than Celtx.

Right now I am writing a screenplay based off a storyline that I created when I was a kid playing with Legos. In fact while I write I pull out each of the lego minifigures that represented each character and place them nearby so I can look over at them and think about what each one would say in a situation. It's actually REALLY useful and I have gotten a lot done by doing this! I can't wait to really start pounding away at the script when I have more time in my day, unfortunately I am working a lot more during the summer. Thankfully when my school starts back up again, I will be back into writing 5 days a week!

-The Norm Meme

spartan117 Jul 5 2012, 2:03pm

I've been writing up a screenplay for an EVE Online/Source machinima hybrid similar to Clear Skies.

With the eve of Source Filmmaker upon us, I might actually make it into a real film.

Trumpetman09
Jul 6 2012, 4:09am

OH I have been meaning to look into that! I hope it's as good as it sounds, I might make one myself just to test it out!

-The Norm Meme

Aglor Jul 6 2012, 12:40pm

I still use Celtx, though I don't write many scripts anymore. Or plan to go into film for that matter.

-floodrock

-General William Sherman

-Albert Einstein

-Marcus Brigstocke

-Author Unknown

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Captain Morgan (29), spara10 (30)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List