You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   Other Projects   »   Vox Populi   »   Use of "Complete Series" for TV Shows
SSTwinrova
Jul 27 2009, 8:57pm

Achievements: 16

Trumpetman's review of MythBusters prompted me to think of this: while TV shows were originally intended to be reviewed as seasons, more often than not, multiple seasons are being reviewed together now. I actually have no issue with this (although Nerrolken's say is final), especially with shows that have ended, but to my knowledge, MythBusters is still airing new episodes. I feel that reviewing something as a "Complete Series" should only apply to shows where there is a reasonable belief that no new episodes will be aired (for example, the 3-4 year hiatus of Family Guy would qualify for this if a review had been written in that time frame).

So, this brings up an interesting point: since reviews are no longer being strictly done by seasons, how should shows that are still airing be tagged (if the review in question does not stop at a specific season)? Shows like MythBusters are somewhat unique in this respect since there's it isn't a serialized show or even really have a story to go along with it, so doing a review in the middle of an active season isn't as big of a deal as it would be for something like Lost or Chuck.

-------------------------------
My Bio

If you're curious, my name comes from the boss of the Spirit Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Trumpetman09
Jul 27 2009, 11:17pm

Achievements: 25

You know I was thinking about this too actually! When I wrote down, "Complete Series", I realized that the series isn't actually complete. Maybe Change up the titles to like Seasons 1-(whatever season the show is currently on or has last aired).

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Aglor Jul 27 2009, 11:37pm

Achievements: 20

I think it's fair to say it would be best if a continuing show was not labled "complete series." Therefore, if a new episodes of a show are still being aired, then it should be changed from saying "complete series" to "season 1-whatever."

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Nerrolken
Jul 27 2009, 11:59pm

Achievements: 24

Yeah, do that. Seasons 1-4, etc. Good call.

Although I encourage people to do individual season reviews as well. The Boston Legal review, for example, indicated that Season 5 was a different kind of season, so it could be good to do a review for it specifically, to go into more detail about what changed. Changing casts, different plotlines, etc, all these can make for good material for multiple reviews.

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

Trumpetman09
Jul 28 2009, 12:25am

Right so the Mythbusters Review should be changed to: Seasons 1-7, though I can't change it myself...

-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this

Reaper195 Jul 28 2009, 2:51am

Achievements: 18

Personally, I'd only do a 'Complete Series' for something that has not only ended, but something short too. Like Jericho, which had 2 seasons, but the last one was only 9 episodes long, so it could arguably be one long series (Seeing how that buying the two series individually is the same price as a new season of something big on DVD).

But something that is more, say for example the five seasons of Boston Legal, I'd make it a lot longer if you're gonna encase all five (Or four, as it sounds).

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Trumpetman09
Jul 28 2009, 4:41am

Yeah, the fifth one reminded me of a show with a double spin off...basically the practice, boston legal, and this piece of crap that they try to sell off as Boston Legal.

As you can tell I wasn't happy with the last season hahaha.

-The Norm Meme

Trent McCrow Aug 15 2009, 11:29pm

Achievements: 10

<--quoteo(post=256287:date=Jul 28 2009, 04:51 PM:name=Reaper195)-->
QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Jul 28 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Personally, I'd only do a 'Complete Series' for something that has not only ended, but something short too. Like Jericho, which had 2 seasons, but the last one was only 9 episodes long, so it could arguably be one long series (Seeing how that buying the two series individually is the same price as a new season of something big on DVD).

But something that is more, say for example the five seasons of Boston Legal, I'd make it a lot longer if you're gonna encase all five (Or four, as it sounds).<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this. The review of an entire series should not be less then the sum of its parts.
If a series is ongoing you should only review the seasons that have completed and you should review them separately. I think it is silly to have a review that is multiple season yet not the complete series.

Complete series reviews should only be for series that are complete. And should include the depth / highlights of each of the seasons.

Look what wikipedia does for something like Stargate SG-1. The main season page has details about each season (with links to a more comprehensive article for that season) and overall series stuff. We could manage it like that.

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
auberyscaes (31), Quint (26), The Rencer (29)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,778 posts across 6,597 threads
in the 12 years, 9 months, and 25 days since our first post.
We have 3,518 registered members.
The newest member is Sandstorm94 .
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List