You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Books   »   What are you reading right now?
Reaper195 Mar 3 2012, 12:31am

Achievements: 18

Just finished a Dance with Dragons. Now reading Halo: Glasslands.

-------------------------------

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

Sneaky
Mar 3 2012, 1:05am

Achievements: 17

^^ just finished glasslands, was pretty good.

am about 1/4 though American Sniper by Chris Kyle

QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Feb 25 2007, 12:05 AM )
You definitely get the "I tried hardest to sponsor" award!
I have lost friends, some by death... others through sheer inability to cross the street.
  - Virginia Woolf

S64 Mar 3 2012, 1:14am

Location: The mystical land where rap doesn't exist. I love where I am.
Achievements: 12

I completely stopped reading the Halo novels after Contact Harvest. Have they been holding up? I always enjoyed the Nylund ones. The actual novelization of Halo kinda dragged, but it did expand on the game's storyline nicely.

Should also get into this. I don't wanna fight off Ms. Fry-Pan-and-Supa-MAC-wielding-God-modding-word-I-can't-say-for-fear-of-being-ripped-to-f(bleep)ing-shreds by myself.
-Spazbro, giving a short description of me

I wanna go out the same way I came in. Kicking, screaming, and in a vagina.
-Scar

My hobby: Going to scary movies, waiting till intense parts, then pushing the person in front of me.

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

Reaper195 Mar 3 2012, 2:07pm

Contact was pretty good, even if it did bugger the other novels continuity (Johnson firing a Battle Rifle, at Brutes, Johnson being on Harvest in the first place, a few other things) a fair bit. And the compilation book was rather good (Well, some were good. Some were average and some were just.....well, they read like they were written by fifteen year-old fanboys who don't know how to actually write). Annoyingly, GLasslands isn't written by Nylund, who was the best Halo author. Although it is written by Karen Traviss who did some Star Wars stuff, but more importantly, wrote the Gears of War books, which were amazing. And Glasslands takes up directly from the end of Ghosts of Onyx. Only real problem is, each chapter goes through three different character POVs. Which isn't necessarily bad, and I'm only a couple of chapters in....but the Dyson Sphere Spartans is the part I want to read about most, having spent since blood 06 waiting to find out what the hell happens.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trumpetman09
Aug 4 2012, 2:57am

Achievements: 25

Right now I am readying Steven Spielberg A Biography second edition written by Joseph McBride. It's actually a VERY detailed account of Spielberg's early life, his thoughts, and his friends. I am liking it so far, however sometimes the details get a little....eh...they get annoying sometimes. But most of it is pretty awesome.

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Reaper195 Sep 6 2012, 6:04am

Define 'annoying'?

Rereading A Game of Thrones. I wish the series would come out faster. Like...instead of making the show one season at a time, one season a year, they just make the entire thing in one go. That way, we wouldn't have some scenes/entire sections cut out. And then get up to the fifth book, then make more when the rest of the book series comes out.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Trumpetman09
Sep 6 2012, 4:27pm

Achievements: 25

By annoying I meant like it would go too far into detail, which makes the story a bit long and dull. Other than that it is an awesome book. I stopped reading it for a bit, but now I've picked it back up.

I heard that A Game of Thrones is an awesome series, I might check it out soon.

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Reaper195 Sep 6 2012, 8:20pm

Ah. Also, yes, you should read them. Books are amazing.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

floodrock Oct 4 2012, 12:12am

Pet Semetary-Stephen King.
Pretty much all I've read all summer when I have time and to lull myself to sleep when fucked up on drugs/alcohol is Stephen King and Tucker Max. It doesn't work to well with the getting to sleep part. I guess.

idk

especially if there's a repeat of earlier this morning. She left quite happy
-Aglor

QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Nov 24 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woke up, thinking I should lie in bed for ages, and then maybe watch new Stargate Universe. Rolled over and noticed it was ten to eight. "OH FOUR! I mean FIVE! I mean F**K! IT"S THURSDAY, NOT SATURDAY!"

QUOTE (Disease @ Nov 23 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Soviet Russia, Ambush Ambushes you!

QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Jan 6 2011, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1 was pretty cool. 2 was "WOO! THat one puckered up my butthole!"

Reapers 10K post
Pff, ten thousand posts...if only I could care about such a thing. For caring about ones' post count is as vain as a vein wanting to pump sterling silver through the body for its own lulz. And we all know how Lulz affects the world. Just look at World War 2. Did you all honestly think Hitler tried to exterminate the Jews because he wanted to crate a master race that even he looked nothing like? I SAY BALLS TO THAT! BALLS TO ALL OF THAT! Balls to so mucyh of that, that this pretentious post has nothing whatsoever in the effects of the global war economy. That's right, I f**king said it, and not when referencing MGS4. Imaginitive ten thousand post mark? I think not....

And also, I demand everyone on the forum to sig-quote that. All of you. Especially you, Geo. You British guy you.

grunty_thirst Oct 20 2012, 11:22am

Achievements: 15

About to finish off 'Truth' by Terry Pratchett, one of the Discworld series. I need to begin re-reading the whole series, and buying them at that. They make me happy, and his humour and piss-taking on the real world keeps me sane I think.

Also still got Nightmares and Dreamscapes by S. King nearby. I peruse a couple of the stories when Im in-between deciding on a new book to read. Looking forward to a lazy summer of reading more I will say.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Reaper195 Oct 21 2012, 12:17am

Nightmares and Dreamscapes is fantastic. Look up the Mini series (About ten or so episodes based off of random stories from N&D).

Rereading Storm of Swords again. Ice and Fire series is goooood.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

The Muffin King Oct 30 2012, 5:50am

Giving Halo: Cryptum a read thanks to this handy dandy online resource.

http://officeofnavalintelligence.tumblr.com/HaloBooks

Signatures are for chumps

grunty_thirst Jan 11 2013, 4:50am

Achievements: 15

I would try out the new ones there but I do not bode well with reading screen text :/
Id go buy the ones im yet to read but money is scarce too, sigh.

Currently reading another Terry Prachett my dad found someplace for next to nothing:

I Shall Wear Midnight - Terry Prachett

Has some different characters and story to most the ones Ive read of his so Im quite enjoying it, and its written as an easier (younger?) book too which makes it a smooth read.

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Fish Jan 30 2013, 2:20am

Things people should care about more than Game of Thrones:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen
The Wheel of Time
Anything by Brandon Sanderson
The Name of the Wind

(There are two parts to this post. The first is that these are all really good books. The second is the fact that I'm salty about Game of Thrones getting a TV series even though it's nowhere near the best in the fantasy genre. Which is not to say it's bad; I do like it. I just don't like it that much compared to other things. Actually, I think the TV show is arguably better, to be honest. How I'm going on a tangent. This is where the parentheses end.)

Reaper195 Feb 3 2013, 9:44pm

While I agree, book-wise, Ice and Fire isn't the best fantasy genre series out there (That belongs to The Dark Tower series by Stephen King), the TV series is possibly the best show I've ever seen, coming only second to Dexter. The thing, at least from my point of view, that makes the Ice and Fire series so damn good is that it doesn't try to be so incredibly fantasy. Aside from being in a not real world, and some the minor fantasy elements, it is set in an incredibly realistic and accurate medieval setting. Too many fantasy series get bogged down by trying to be too fantastic. Having too many different locations which are incredibly varied, so many different species, races, peoples, magics, monsters, etc, to the point where it becomes incredibly hard to understand what you are even reading. It gets even worse when you can't physically pronounce half the names (The main reason I gave up reading Lord of the Rings).

I did try reading the Wheel of Time series, but I got to the third book (Years ago), wasn't really enjoying myself, and was then told there are still seven more books to go. And a number of more books to come out since the author had died. "Lol, no. Ass to continuing this then.". But in the end, like movies and games, books and their series are incredibly subjective. Of all the books I've read and liked and disliked, only the Fifty Shades and Twilight series will I call objectively bad. Twilight was pure pandering to teenage girl fantasies (All of which have incredibly warped what they expect relationships to be like...as well as accepting abusive relationships, since the relationship between the two main characters ticks every box that counts towards being in an abusive relationship), and Fifty Shades, irrelevant of its content, was written so goddamn badly, I'm disgusted any publisher considered printing it.

Currently?
Wilbur Smith - Those In Peril

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Fish Feb 4 2013, 4:56pm

There is this thing about Wheel of Time where it really is quite long. And if you're not a huge fan of slow pacing (which is completely understandable) it can bog down pretty quickly. In a lot of ways I feel like Wheel of Time is a series that you're reading mostly for the ending; the last few books have the benefit of feeling the weight of the entire series and everything that's happened behind every decision that I found to be very compelling. Still, if you don't have the time or patience, you're never going to get there, so it means nothing.

The Game of Thrones TV series is quite good, especially with their casting. I feel like the actors are all doing a spectacular job. That said, I still think Battlestar Galactica is a better show, and maybe The Wire, too.

My main problem with Song of Ice and Fire is that the only characters I ever got emotionally attached to were just sort of killed off, relatively early, and not in any meaningful way. When I'm reading a book that doesn't have any characters that I give a crap about it's really hard to keep reading it. I know people like to make the argument that R. R. Martin is making his world more realistic by not protecting his main characters with an author's shield and stuff, but I read Game of Thrones directly after finishing The Malazan Book of the Fallen. In that series, the main characters didn't have author's shields either, but their deaths were so meaningful that I actually cried most of the time.

The Muffin King Apr 8 2013, 5:24am

Going to start and finish The Road by Thursday for my Apocalyptic Fiction class. I've been really meaning to get around to this book so I'm pretty stoked. Just wish I started on it last week like I was supposed to

Signatures are for chumps

Reaper195 Apr 8 2013, 6:00am

I warn you, while The Road is pretty powerful and compelling stuff...the writing itself is...weird. It's like the author forgot how to use many grammatical symbols. SOme times you can't tell if you are reading a random sentence, a characters thought or if they are speaking out loud. It's weird as dicks, but not enough to put you off the book. Not like,

1984 - George Orwell

Seriously...a third of the way into the book, and I'm telling it to bugger off. The writing is under average, the character is disgustingly simplified in what seems like a complex time, and the writing is pure fucking drivel! Fifteen pages, and all that happens is the main character sitting at his desk, while the rest of that is then spent on him lamenting about how big yet how small he is in this world, and his take on some disgustingly simple concepts involving freedom. I honestly cannot see why this book is held in such high a stasis when it seems to not only suffer from Old Book syndrome (Being written in 1949/50), but boring-book-fasciitis...

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Aglor Jun 16 2013, 1:38am

Achievements: 20

1984 is my favorite book...

Anyway, I'm currently reading A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. Not bad, not at all. So far.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

Reaper195 Jun 16 2013, 5:06am

You should get a better book, dick!

Trolling aside, each to their own. The literary world loves the book. I find it dull and boring as a bag of dicks.

First time in ages, I'm not actually reading anything. In-between books.

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
Nerrolken (31), xX Church Xx (25)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,771 posts across 6,592 threads
in the 12 years, 7 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,464 registered members.
The newest member is TheCorn.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List