Edgeworks Forums   »   General   »   Movies   »   Valkyrie
Nerrolken
Feb 9 2009, 12:33am

Achievements: 24

Has anyone seen it? What do you think?

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

-------------------------------
Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

squattingb
Feb 9 2009, 1:31am

Great movie!! I saw it around the week after it came out, (really couldn't wait) and I loved it!
I thought Cruise's acting was just fine, top-notch even, despite what some critics (mostly german) have said. I'm a big WWII buff so I always love to watch these kinds of movies. With an event as important as this, I think the movie did quite well, while it may not have been an exact recreation or even a faithful rendition, I found the movie quite gripping and enlightening to watch.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Makkyo Feb 11 2009, 9:11am

Achievements: 3

At first, I was a skeptic. I mean, I already knew what happened, so why pay to see Tom Cruise do it?
That being said, I really liked Valkyrie. I'm not German, so I can't tear it apart for getting little things wrong (and I'm sure there were). However, Valkyrie created a palpable tension throughout the entire film in a very cloak and dagger sort of way through fear of being discovered. The end of the movie reminded me in a way of Braveheart when Mel Gibson screams freedom before loosing his head. *spoiler alert* Tom Cruise yells "hail sacred Germany" or some such in front of his firing squad. Excellent stuff. 4/5

"To prejudge other men's notions before we have looked into them is not to show their darkness but to put out our own eyes."
~ John Locke

squattingb
Feb 11 2009, 11:38am

Well, even though you may know what already happens (as with most historical movies), it's always interesting to watch a new interpretation and perspective. This movie certainly wasn't the first to highlight Operation Valkyrie and probably won't be the last.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

grunty_thirst Feb 13 2009, 1:40pm

Achievements: 15

I was looking forward to seeing this; had decent expectatation, and on the whole it definately delivered. For a WWII film that was primarily based around phone calls and paperwork- it still provided great suspense; and the ending was fantastic- quite confronting and was just a solid way to end the film...probably the only problem I had was that it seemed like such a Cruise role though...bit predictable, and I've seen much of it before. Otherwise I was pretty happy watching it. happy.gif

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Trent McCrow Mar 21 2009, 9:14am

Achievements: 10

I liked it. Keep an eye out for my review in the VP section!

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
AndySomo (35)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,795 posts across 6,607 threads
in the 14 years, 10 months, and 30 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List