You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   Videos   »   The Beginning of the End
tb2571989
Dec 1 2008, 4:46am

Achievements: 17

So. Here we are then. I'm back.

It's been more than a year from anything "entertaning" from Edgeworks Entertainment, partially due to the infamous microsoft rules. I feel, now, after my absence of several months from the forum, nothing much has changed apart from the bots. The reason I had left for all that time is that there was nothing new keeping me here. I come back hoping for some news at least, but no. The so-called death of Halo machinima is not a reason for Edgeworks to die, but yet it has been. They are a talented group of people and just because Forseaken and The Reclaimer fell through, surely there are hundereds of game engines to use. Garry's Mod. Second Life. A film comany does not make one film, it keeps making new films, more and more.

The last news article was in July. One thing that is neede here is continual news to keep the dwindling community fresh. Tell us how univeristy life is going, I've never been and won't be going, I'd like to know at least. Little things to keep us going.

One news post, the great forum has been healed...whats the point when there have been so few people online.

So, is this the end of Edgeworks as we know it? Or will there be more to come, machinima-wise?

tb2571989
~Tom

PS: If Edgeworks come out with a new series next week, or indeed Febuiraray 9th 2009 then all will be forgotten. And forgiven.
PPS: I've got the extinguishers ready, with a fire engine standing by.

-------------------------------
It's a new dawn, It's a new day, It's a new life, For me, And I'm feeling good.

squattingb
Dec 1 2008, 11:15am

Achievements: 24

I'm gonna let the edgeworks crew speak for themselves and put out the final word here but from my perspective, here's how I see it: they're all busy in university so they don't really have the time to make a machinima that meets the standard set by the Heretic and the Codex. It's not really so much about microsoft as it is about the fact that these rules pretty much said "stop" when they probably should've anyway so that they could focus on their university educations. Maybe they would've made more if these rules weren't introduced, maybe not. I don't know. The thing is that the Codex forum has become a community of familiarity and placidness, there doesn't always have to be something exciting, the people who stay here enjoy being here and like to just hang out on this board. The fact is that I think Edgeworks is going to stay as is for a while to come and I don't see any changes in the near future. And to some, that's perfectly fine, but to others it's not, so those who want to stay can and those who prefer a little more action and change will want to leave. And you know, for the people who still come on to the forums, it's nice to have it fixed if it needs fixing and still know that people are looking after it. There may not be as many active members as their used to be during the "glory days" but it doesn't mean that these people are less important or do not justify the maintenance of the forum.

So, you know, just try to keep in mind that although Edgeworks may be a production company or film company or whatever you like to call it, these guys are busy with school so that they can study to make real films far more epic than the Codex and the Heretic were. And as for the community, I really believe that it'll stay the way it is and the people who are here are perfectly fine with that.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

S64 Dec 1 2008, 9:56pm

Location: The mystical land where rap doesn't exist. I love where I am.
Achievements: 12

<--quoteo(post=240065:date=Dec 1 2008, 03:46 AM:name=tb2571989)-->
QUOTE (tb2571989 @ Dec 1 2008, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->PS: If Edgeworks come out with a new series next week, or indeed Febuiraray 9th 2009 then all will be forgotten. And forgiven.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Edgeworks gave me the great birthday present of the Heretic.

Should also get into this. I don't wanna fight off Ms. Fry-Pan-and-Supa-MAC-wielding-God-modding-word-I-can't-say-for-fear-of-being-ripped-to-f(bleep)ing-shreds by myself.
-Spazbro, giving a short description of me

I wanna go out the same way I came in. Kicking, screaming, and in a vagina.
-Scar

My hobby: Going to scary movies, waiting till intense parts, then pushing the person in front of me.

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

SSTwinrova
Dec 1 2008, 11:29pm

Achievements: 16

Off topic: I find it amusing how people from UK/Canada say "university life" and "university educations" when here in the US, even though Nerrolken goes to University of Southern California and Drelnathi/I go to University of Texas at Dallas, we use the word "college" instead. Not important, just something I picked up on...

The Codex started about 4 years ago (wow, that long?) as a project in (almost) everyone's senior year of high school, and now 4 years later, we're (again, almost) all looking to graduate college in May and have to decide whether to go to graduate school or find a way to not starve (i.e. get a job). I'm sure there are numerous things that many of us would like to be working on, but 24 hours in a day just isn't enough to do it all.

As is now famous around here, Edgeworks was planning a trailer (not a full third series as the original interpretation of the news post seemed to be) for The Reclaimer shortly before the GCUR came out. That got scrapped, and you've heard basically nothing from Edgeworks as far as any other announcements since then. As far as I know, this is because there is nothing to announce. To my knowledge, Edgeworks has no series in development (or even planning). There could be a gigantic surprise announcement come February, but I'm personally not expecting anything.

With the core team of The Codex and the expanded team of The Heretic soon to graduate college, having anything developed by "Edgeworks" from this point on would be extremely difficult. Some people will be staying in the Dallas area, but others of us have jobs elsewhere around the country. Nerrolken will very likely stay in LA to pursue non-machinima related film interests; I'll be moving to Seattle to start a job with the company behind the GCUR itself. Since we never enjoyed the idea of filming over Live, it's not that likely that the group behind The Codex/Heretic will be producing anything more.

So, even though Edgeworks' original machinima days are extremely likely at an end, that doesn't mean that nothing else will ever be produced under the Edgeworks name. Groups reinvent themselves all the time, and once we all get settled into our future lives, who knows where Edgeworks could go or what it could become. We recently got together over the Thanksgiving break so it's not like we never see each other anymore, and all it would take is one great idea that could spark the next wave of productions from Edgeworks. Regardless of when or if that time ever comes, the fact that the community here is still as active as it is shows us just how much you all enjoy and appreciate the amount of work that we put into our products, and it's good to know that the support is there if Edgeworks ever does release something new.

My Bio

If you're curious, my name comes from the boss of the Spirit Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

squattingb
Dec 1 2008, 11:52pm

Certainly looking forward to anything that may come in the not-so-near future wink.gif

Have fun at MS after grad! tongue.gif

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

grunty_thirst Dec 3 2008, 7:05am

Achievements: 15

Much of my own speculation and thoughts have already been noted, but I'll also add that the Edgeworks Entertainment Boards have been a continuous source of Machinima ideas, resources and community activity in so many forms of this brand of film-making. There's no reason for that to stop. Under the banner of the EE emblem, we may yet see groups of our own forumers come together and create the next masterpiece...with respect to those rules or not.]

Also, cheers to SST for stopping by. Good to know how you're getting along in the everyday. smile.gif

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

colonelbob Dec 3 2008, 1:49pm

Achievements: 0

I find it sad that such talent people like Alexander Winn and the rest of the Edgeworks crew have been stopped from being able to produce Machinima while others make it as much as they please. I may be self centered when I say this but I think the crew should just make what they want. I mean I see machinima on halo 3 everyday using the sound effects from the game. I've even seen people use the characters voices! I think that if others can get away with that then Edgeworks should be able to as well. I mean obviously they sell their machinima to others for profit without permission from Microsoft like RvB, but has it ever really been about the money? I though it was about expressing your ideas and entertaining the crowd. But thats just me talking.

squattingb
Dec 3 2008, 5:38pm

Um, I think you completely missed the point here...

R A W R
~ BEvERages

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Aglor Dec 3 2008, 8:28pm

Achievements: 20

Indeed. While alot of people seem interested in machinima from Edgeworks, I'm waiting for the inevitable live-action film.

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

colonelbob Dec 3 2008, 8:50pm

Achievements: 0

Oh umm.....wow I feel stupid. I'm so sorry, I though we were talking about something else.

Nerrolken
Dec 6 2008, 10:21pm

This is a serious topic, but you caught me in a silly mood. I will, therefore, express my points in bulleted emoticons...

sad.gif : Edgeworks, barring an act of God, will never make machinima again.

smile.gif : Machinima is not the only, or even close to one of the biggest, forms of entertainment out there.

cool.gif : I've spent the last four years in Hollywood, and I've learned that there are other ways of making movies than just getting together with your friends in your living room to play video games. I've set my sights on something... grander...

w00t.gif : If we could make a series like this with a video game, where our characters couldn't even move their hands, imagine what we could do with live-action!

And while we have nothing in development right now, I will tell you two things...

smilie_dance.gif : Edgeworks Entertainment is by no means finished, and even if it takes a while for our next project to happen, it will.

dancing-banana.gif : I have developed no less than five webseries concepts that I am considering moving forward with, three of which are serious enough that I have already made site headers for them, in case they get the green light.

And, just because I love you guys, I'll drop one more bit of info for you...

ph34r.gif : Not only can you look forward to more movies and webseries, you just might see a revival of an old favorite somewhere down the line...

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

grunty_thirst Dec 7 2008, 2:39am

<--quoteo(post=240503:date=Dec 7 2008, 02:21 PM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Dec 7 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->ph34r.gif : Not only can you look forward to more movies and webseries, you just might see a revival of an old favorite somewhere down the line...

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
*berates Nerrolken about the head*

When, damnit?! WHEN!?! laugh.gif

Anywho, best of luck for them grander ambitions of yours. Things look bright for your future/imminent career! smile.gif

And the reason I understand the difference between attraction and liking is that I'm a girl. Our brains don't reside in our genital areas. - 64
True... but it's grunty_thirst. Anything could happen. - Fish
Because, you know, reminding is the devil, and those who remind often end up in the firey pits of hell. - rearanged
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp - Terry Pratchett
Check out all the works of art from the Forum members - At The Codex Forums Gallery of Fine Arts
*=,._/~ DevArt! ~_.,=*

Fish Dec 7 2008, 11:32pm

lawls

tb2571989
Dec 8 2008, 3:50am

<--quoteo(post=240503:date=Dec 7 2008, 03:21 AM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Dec 7 2008, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->This is a serious topic, but you caught me in a silly mood. I will, therefore, express my points in bulleted emoticons...<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
Forgiven.

<--quotec-->ph34r.gif : Not only can you look forward to more movies and webseries, you just might see a revival of an old favorite somewhere down the line...
-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
What? RvB? tongue.gif

<--quoteo(post=240153:date=Dec 2 2008, 04:29 AM:name=SSTwinrova)-->
QUOTE (SSTwinrova @ Dec 2 2008, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Off topic: I find it amusing how people from UK/Canada say "university life" and "university educations" when here in the US, even though Nerrolken goes to University of Southern California and Drelnathi/I go to University of Texas at Dallas, we use the word "college" instead. Not important, just something I picked up on...<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
In the UK, College is something you can do before university. College, for us, is different to uni.

The Muffin King Dec 8 2008, 4:47am

I can say that I love you even more Nerrolken just for making a new post. News is news, and if it's good news, that's just a bonus.

Signatures are for chumps

Geo Ghost Dec 8 2008, 4:57am

<--quotec-->smile.gif : Machinima is not the only, or even close to one of the biggest, forms of entertainment out there.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell no! wink.gif
Though Machinima is special in it's own way, it doesn't compare to the sheer variety of things you can do in real-life! happy.gif
And also in animation too - That is pretty much limitless biggrin.gif

MEDIA PRODUCTION FTW happy.gif

*Goes back to planning and pre-production for video projects* happy.gif

Safir Group Website
Safir Youtube
F

- The Edgeworks Forum resident Brony

tb2571989
Dec 8 2008, 5:50am

<--quoteo(post=240590:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:47 AM:name=t3h_muff1n_k!ng)-->
QUOTE (t3h_muff1n_k!ng @ Dec 8 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I can say that I love you even more Nerrolken just for making a new post. News is news, and if it's good news, that's just a bonus.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. I would like some news updates, no matter how minor. This little snippet will keep the forum going for a few weeks.

SSTwinrova
Dec 9 2008, 12:56pm

Achievements: 16

<--quoteo(post=240503:date=Dec 6 2008, 09:21 PM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Dec 6 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->And while we have nothing in development right now, I will tell you two things...

smilie_dance.gif : Edgeworks Entertainment is by no means finished, and even if it takes a while for our next project to happen, it will.

dancing-banana.gif : I have developed no less than five webseries concepts that I am considering moving forward with, three of which are serious enough that I have already made site headers for them, in case they get the green light.

And, just because I love you guys, I'll drop one more bit of info for you...

ph34r.gif : Not only can you look forward to more movies and webseries, you just might see a revival of an old favorite somewhere down the line...

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I've already checked out flight times between LA and Seattle (right about 3 hours one way and no timezone changes), so I fully expect Nerrolken's company (whether it be "Edgeworks" or some other studio he's with) to foot the bill to fly me to LA if stuff ever needs to happen in person tongue.gif

My Bio

If you're curious, my name comes from the boss of the Spirit Temple in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

MasterChief2829 Dec 9 2008, 5:34pm

Achievements: 8

I'm not sure why people blame the GCU rules, they rephrased what it meant and machinima still seems the same to me, Halo 3 wise.

Nerrolken
Dec 11 2008, 7:05pm

<--quoteo(post=240734:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:34 PM:name=MasterChief2829)-->
QUOTE (MasterChief2829 @ Dec 9 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I'm not sure why people blame the GCU rules, they rephrased what it meant and machinima still seems the same to me, Halo 3 wise.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
Again, the rules are not the problem. The problem is that, before Microsoft had an official position on machinima, there was always a hope that other series could get the same attention and permission as RvB. After they released those rules, it was clear that that would never happen. The GCU rules basically say "We won't sue you if..." We weren't hoping to simply NOT get sued, we were hoping to get official recognition. And Microsoft's never going to budge on that score. sad.gif

But, as I said, machinima is not the only option. In fact, it's not even particularly high on the list of awesome-potential. And we're working to climb that list as high as we can get. wink.gif

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
ElectroRent (30)
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List