You are not logged in. Login - Sign Up
New Thread
Edgeworks Forums   »   Edgeworks Productions   »   Videos   »   Can't you...
Nerrolken
Jul 17 2008, 2:24pm

Achievements: 24

<--quoteo(post=226200:date=Jul 17 2008, 11:12 AM:name=Aglor)-->
QUOTE (Aglor @ Jul 17 2008, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->He never said he'd actually make the film, just that the story be easily changed to take out the Halo.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, what he said.

<--quoteo(post=226188:date=Jul 16 2008, 11:30 PM:name=64)-->
QUOTE (64 @ Jul 16 2008, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Will The Reclaimer be followable enough for longtime fans to understand what would have happened in the Halo universe?<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
But to answer your question, probably yes.

Of course, The Codex doesn't really have THAT much to do with the Halo universe anyway. Sure, the Spartans are called Spartans and the Covenant are called the Covenant, but when you start to think about all the differences, we've already veered pretty far from the world of Halo. For example, the Covenant only has one species, the Elites, and they fill military, religious, and engineering roles onscreen. The Spartans are considerably less professional than the Master Chief and there are many more of them, organized in a structure unlike that in the games. Our major Forerunner structure is never mentioned in the games, and we never really mention the Halos. The Codex responds to the Seraph Captain, while the Halos only respond to Humans, and it gave him powers unlike anything seen in the games. And perhaps most importantly, our series never even mentions the Flood, which is a huge element of the games.

So when you see The Reclaimer, will you be able to visualize what the story would have been in the Halo Universe? Probably. But if you were watching The Codex in live-action for the first time and the Spartans and Covenant had different names and design aesthetics, would you make the connection?

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

-------------------------------
Thanks to Sneaky and SquattingB for the awesome avatar!

Aglor Jul 17 2008, 2:46pm

Achievements: 20

So is that a yes to being invited to the premier (or is it premiere?)?

6-2-2010- Last day at the station. It's all over now.

"You go Aglor! Get dat b-day humping!"
-floodrock

"If you get blown up, I don't care"
-General William Sherman

"Only two things are ever constant. Human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not too sure about the second."
-Albert Einstein

Euclid's Fifth Postulate: So controversial it's almost a theorem!

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
-Marcus Brigstocke

Ask me why I keep on loving you when it's clear that you don't feel the same way for me... the problem is that as much as I can't force you to love me, I can't force myself to stop loving you.
-Author Unknown

deathman1000 Jul 19 2008, 5:24am

Achievements: 0

That is an invitation for us all to the Grand premiere aint it Nerrolken? eh? eh?

Trance Jul 19 2008, 11:39am

Achievements: 14

<--quoteo(post=226204:date=Jul 17 2008, 02:46 PM:name=Aglor)-->
QUOTE (Aglor @ Jul 17 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->So is that a yes to being invited to the premier (or is it premiere?)?<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
Premier
Premiere

Trumpetman09
Jul 19 2008, 3:42pm

Achievements: 25

But if you were watching The Codex in live-action for the first time and the Spartans and Covenant had different names and design aesthetics, would you make the connection?-I am sure most could, I could at least. An example, if you made The Reclaimer as a live action then you probably wouldn't have any really confused fans since why watch the last movie when there are two others before it? If you watched Pirates 3, then would you understand it? No. Thats why before people go and see a sequel they watch the prequel. (rhyming) So to answer your question Nerrolken I am sure people can make the connection between covenant and (insert alien name here). I am certain that we, the fans, could visualize the story as if it was in Halo.

Things I made and am proud of on Edgeworks and other stuff:
-The Norm Meme
-The first time I was mentioned on the Edgeworks News Post, super cool of Nerrolken to have done this
-I was made a mod February 10th, 2011!

Nerrolken
Jul 19 2008, 8:53pm

<--quoteo(post=226307:date=Jul 19 2008, 02:42 PM:name=Trumpetman)-->
QUOTE (Trumpetman @ Jul 19 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->But if you were watching The Codex in live-action for the first time and the Spartans and Covenant had different names and design aesthetics, would you make the connection?-I am sure most could, I could at least. An example, if you made The Reclaimer as a live action then you probably wouldn't have any really confused fans since why watch the last movie when there are two others before it? If you watched Pirates 3, then would you understand it? No. Thats why before people go and see a sequel they watch the prequel. (rhyming) So to answer your question Nerrolken I am sure people can make the connection between covenant and (insert alien name here). I am certain that we, the fans, could visualize the story as if it was in Halo.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
From what I could tell, you just reinforced my point. What I meant was that, while The Codex works as a Halo machinima series, it doesn't necessarily have to be related to Halo. With only a few changes, a live-action version of The Codex could be separated enough from the Halo franchise that a person who'd never heard of the current machinima series would never know there was anything more.

Here's an example: the massively popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show was actually based on a movie made a couple of years earlier. For those who saw the movie, the connection was obvious. But for those who started with the TV show, they wouldn't necessarily guess that there was any source material that came before.

That's how I feel about a live-action Codex franchise: for fans of the machinima series, the connections will be obvious, but to those new to the story, it won't be similar enough to make the connection back to Halo.

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

S64 Jul 20 2008, 1:21am

Location: The mystical land where rap doesn't exist. I love where I am.
Achievements: 12

I still wanna know if you're starting with Heretic or Codex...

Should also get into this. I don't wanna fight off Ms. Fry-Pan-and-Supa-MAC-wielding-God-modding-word-I-can't-say-for-fear-of-being-ripped-to-f(bleep)ing-shreds by myself.
-Spazbro, giving a short description of me

I wanna go out the same way I came in. Kicking, screaming, and in a vagina.
-Scar

My hobby: Going to scary movies, waiting till intense parts, then pushing the person in front of me.

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

Reaper195 Jul 20 2008, 1:38am

Achievements: 18

I wanna know if there will be an actual movie made from either.

<--quoteo(post=226308:date=Jul 19 2008, 06:53 PM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Jul 19 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Here's an example: the massively popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show was actually based on a movie made a couple of years earlier. For those who saw the movie, the connection was obvious. But for those who started with the TV show, they wouldn't necessarily guess that there was any source material that came before.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Same thing happened with Stargate SG-1. Good TV show made from an awesome movie.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

S64 Jul 20 2008, 1:45am

Buffy. And Stargate. And awesome should never be used in the same sentence together. Ever.

Should also get into this. I don't wanna fight off Ms. Fry-Pan-and-Supa-MAC-wielding-God-modding-word-I-can't-say-for-fear-of-being-ripped-to-f(bleep)ing-shreds by myself.

-Scar

My hobby: Going to scary movies, waiting till intense parts, then pushing the person in front of me.

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

squattingb
Jul 20 2008, 3:08am

<--quoteo(post=226319:date=Jul 20 2008, 01:38 AM:name=Reaper195)-->
QUOTE (Reaper195 @ Jul 20 2008, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I wanna know if there will be an actual movie made from either.

Same thing happened with Stargate SG-1. Good TV show made from an awesome movie.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's kind of too far away to say...
But in any case, I'm not so sure about what movie Nerrolken was referring to with Buffy since there was a Buffy movie... and I can't remember the exact plot of the movie but was the tv series a spin off or a continuation of the same story?
I'm fairly sure that the stargate movie and tv show are all cannon in the same story, with the exception of different actors but I can't say the same for Buffy which might've been Nerrolken's point. If the movie and subsequent tv series follow the exact same plot then it's not really a valid point here is it? I may not be understanding this correctly at all but that's what I'm pulling from this at the moment.

R A W R
~ BEvERages
Kittens!!! More kittens!!!
Fastest 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube solve: 39.70s
Fastest 4x4x4 Rubik's Cube solve: 5m 24.88s

Codex Sponsor
Heretic Sponsor

Nerrolken
Jul 20 2008, 3:43am

<--quoteo(post=226323:date=Jul 20 2008, 02:08 AM:name=sbear)-->
QUOTE (sbear @ Jul 20 2008, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->I think that's kind of too far away to say...
But in any case, I'm not so sure about what movie Nerrolken was referring to with Buffy since there was a Buffy movie... and I can't remember the exact plot of the movie but was the tv series a spin off or a continuation of the same story?
I'm fairly sure that the stargate movie and tv show are all cannon in the same story, with the exception of different actors but I can't say the same for Buffy which might've been Nerrolken's point. If the movie and subsequent tv series follow the exact same plot then it's not really a valid point here is it? I may not be understanding this correctly at all but that's what I'm pulling from this at the moment.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->
It was half-way between a reboot and a sequel. They vaguely reference that things from the movie have happened, but they end up covering the same ground again to re-establish the franchise. The point was to give an example of a franchise shifting its primary medium and restarting the story, but still offering new material to interest repeat viewers.

The original question that started us on this little quest was basically "will we be able to visualize what The Reclaimer would have been like in Halo, when we watch it in live-action?" And my answer, using the example of the Buffy movie/tv show shift, was that fans of our machinima series would indeed be able to piece together how a machinima version of The Reclaimer would have played out, but that people who had never heard of machinima would not need to educate themselves in order to appreciate the movie.

Sticking with the Joss Whedon theme, think of the film Serenity: it is most deeply appreciated if you've seen Firefly, but you can still enjoy Serenity even if you never knew there was a TV show that came before.

-Alexander Winn
Nerrolken

S64 Jul 20 2008, 1:09pm

I think you've wedged yourself into a position where you have to do these movies. tongue.gif

-Scar

-Prophet of Ph34r
-Prophet of Peace

Reaper195 Jul 20 2008, 4:45pm

Achievements: 18

He more or less has. biggrin.gif

<--quoteo(post=226322:date=Jul 19 2008, 11:45 PM:name=64)-->
QUOTE (64 @ Jul 19 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Buffy. And Stargate. And awesome should never be used in the same sentence together. Ever.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Buffy and Stargate are in the same sentance with awesome. I love both shows, and both original movies, so where the guy comes from, f*ck you!

<<

>>

I am not affected by anything at this moment...

<--quoteo(post=226324:date=Jul 20 2008, 01:43 AM:name=Nerrolken)-->
QUOTE (Nerrolken @ Jul 20 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<--quotec-->Sticking with the Joss Whedon theme, think of the film Serenity: it is most deeply appreciated if you've seen Firefly, but you can still enjoy Serenity even if you never knew there was a TV show that came before.<--QuoteEnd-->
<--QuoteEEnd-->

Ugh...Serenity. It was an awesome movie, but it was too much of a film for people to watch the series, not a film for those who had seen it. No, and I more or less mean no, questions from the series were answered, aside from confirming River's mind reading and such.

"Help! That sinister looking kid is coming to kill me! Help! HELP!"

Hail to the king, baby!
Always Blow On The Pie

Time waits for no one. So you better get busy living, or get busy dying.

halopee Apr 15 2009, 9:14am

Achievements: 0

It is odd to observe that these sapiens still wish for something they cannot have, even after so long interesting.
Still I believe the corperation ave already been thwarted by the sapien known as Martin O Donnel with the release of his IP. Still I am glad you all still wish to have this project reinstated, as after archiving and observing the past series I have come to the conclusion that the sapiens involved are highly skilled, and should be allowed to finish their work.

hmmm hmmm hmmmmm mmmmmm

New Thread

Forum Statistics
Members Online (0)
(no users currently online)
Member Birthdays
No members have a birthday today.
Board Statistics
Our members have made a total of 271,794 posts across 6,606 threads
in the 14 years, 0 months, and 13 days since our first post.
We have 3,569 registered members.
The newest member is Kelderic.
- Top Member List
- Search Threads/Posts/Members
- Moderator List
- Achievement List